dielectric grease To grease or not to grease?

Ted B

Established Member
Im having hesitation issues, and i pulled all my coil pack out to ohm out, all were good at .6 ohms (.3 ohms minus the resistance in the test leads) and from both terminals to the spring 5.56k ohms...all within spec.

A lot of people say they install dry, but has anyone seen a difference when all seems to technically check out but then they grease them to see the issue resolved?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Keep in mind dielectric grease is non-conductive, aka insulating. You don't actually want it between contact points, but rather on the outside of a connecter to insulate the entire thing from environmental conditions and prevent corrosion.

VLONE

Established Member
I used dielectric grease when I was reinstalling my coil packs after changing my spark plugs. When I had the plugs and coils out it was apparent that the previos owner had used dielectric grease as well since there was a nice coating still on the coils. I simply wiped most of the old grease off and reapplied fresh.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep in mind dielectric grease is non-conductive, aka insulating. You don't actually want it between contact points, but rather on the outside of a connecter to insulate the entire thing from environmental conditions and prevent corrosion.

this, Ive seen a bunch of people trying waterproof their ATV/side by side and pack the connectors full of it then wonder why it doesnt run

Ted B

Established Member
well i found out that either the MAF, or the diablo sport mafia is busted so my coils are prob fine, and since i took them apart and they looked to be in very good shape i'm going to not grease them. Also shit even if I were to ever great them who fills them up with dielectric grease that's crazy.

shurur

Established Member
I think the dielectric grease is mainly to keep the COP silicone boots from tearing as they get pushed or twisted on. The COP silicone boot can be somewhat fragile.

Ted B

Established Member
nod, its been so cold that my plastic on my throttle body cable crumbled while i was pushing them out of the way to get to the coils, and removing the EGR valve. Im sure the rubber after a few cycles of that kinda cold would start to weaken and possibly tare

Users who are viewing this thread