Did you clamp your exhaust on yourself or have it welded by a shop?

Clamp exhaust on yourself or have shop weld it?

• Hell no that guy with the big welding mask isn't touching my car

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Only let the guy do a few tack welds

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Do it all myself and hope it doesn't leak or move around

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
My Magnaflow catback should be here some time this week and I would really like to keep it away from the guys at the exhaust shop if at all possible. Has anyone had any problems so far just clamping it on themselves? I would have no problem taking it in and having a few tack welds done here and there to keep things in place. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: I guess the poll is somewhat redundant now that I look at it. Just ignore number 1 ;)

Last edited:

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
2 years on without leaking

I had my magnaflow catback on my '99 for about 2 years using the OEM clamps and didn't have any problems (other than my wife complaining that it was too LOUD) I was also able to take it off easily and put it on the '03 without a problem. My opinion FWIW, and that's just my own personal experience, don't worry about it unless it becomes a problem

:thumbsup:
Allan

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 32ValveSymphony
My Magnaflow catback should be here some time this week and I would really like to keep it away from the guys at the exhaust shop if at all possible. Has anyone had any problems so far just clamping it on themselves? I would have no problem taking it in and having a few tack welds done here and there to keep things in place. Thanks for the input.

Its not a problem, just clamp it down. I believe taking the car for a spin in the rain will also pull the exhaust together nicely.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
I guess the reason this comes up is because on my 2000 Camaro SS I had a B&B Tri-Flo installed and the tips were so heavy I had to have them tacked into place so they didn't sag. Even after the tacks, the thing never did sit right and would wobble around on brick roads. I just don't want that with the Magnaflow on the Cobra :uh oh:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Tacked my Magnaflow after they twisted for the 3rd time. Only on the front pipes. You could take the clamps off the back and those babies wouldn't come loose for anything.

My right side front pipe was loose fitting? I broke 2 clamps trying to get it to stay in place. Once tacked, no problems.

Mac03Cobra....

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra
Tacked my Magnaflow after they twisted for the 3rd time. Only on the front pipes. You could take the clamps off the back and those babies wouldn't come loose for anything.

My right side front pipe was loose fitting? I broke 2 clamps trying to get it to stay in place. Once tacked, no problems.

Mac03Cobra....

I had a similar problem with the right side. The pipe on that side seemed too short. I also broke a clamp trying to get it tight enough! No welds for me, though. (The welds will rust!)

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
(The welds will rust!)

You are correct if it was a regular weld/metal. This is stainless steel and I have them MIG welded. So far everything looks good.

And you are 100% correct about the right pipe being too short. It BARELY went into the muffler to close the expansion slot. I let a little out of the back pipe from where it goes into the back of the muffler to get a little more room. It was hitting the lower control arm with the tail pipe. I wonder if this is an 03 only problem.

This is WHY I had it welded. I have about an inch of pipe sticking into the front inlet of the muffler on the right side. This is also the side I broke the clamp on and the one that twisted.

Mac

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
I saw several Magnaflow'd cars where the rear pipes did not align after a short time on the car - so when I did mine, I had them tack welded to keep them from shifting - they still look fine. For such a small weld, I have no problem with "normal" welding material - so far no rust of any significance.

mm49

Established Member
Used Dynamax Walker 2 inch wide exhaust straps. Stainless Steel and work perfect on my Magnaflow. No leaks and is very tight. Got em from Summit!

JL

Users who are viewing this thread