Did pumps die or were they killed?

gaspasr

Established Member
Car was hesitating a few weeks ago and found out fuel filter was clogged. Pumps at this point were loud but not any louder than before. I changed fuel filter and they became much more quiet then:shrug:. I Used car for 25 miles with a new filter and now pumps are dead (orange and yellow wires have voltage but pumps don't turn on. Pulled filter out and it's filthy AGAIN.
imagewci.jpg

Top one is old filter. It has noticeable metallic shine in the light. This filter was 650 miles old *new fuel system 8 months old
The bottom filter had 25 miles of use not even 2 weeks old

So did the clogged filter cause these pumps to fail prematurely. Or is the filter clogged from the dying-to dead pumps. I'm going with the 267s (465), taking tank down and cleaning the crap out of it to exclude that out of the equation. Going to stick to the same station I have used who had a fairly new setup never diesel, etc. Hopefully I can answer myself a few questions.:beer:

Last edited:

triple-s

Established Member
Nope that is caused by the coating on the pump turbines.if you go with the same pump your going to experiencethe same problem.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
OP, did the hesitation just start happening I assume after 8 months with no warning? Had you ever logged your fuel pressure prior to this to see what was going on...or perhaps not because you didn't feel that "Hesitation" as you say so you assumed all was good. What pumps were you running when this happened? Were you running the Walbro 405's? I spoken with Justin Fore and he indicated that they were plenty fine for e85 with only 15% less life span which is still plenty of hours for that pump on e85.

Triple-S...why do you think that is the result of the pumps themselves and not something else like the gas station or bad fuel lines?

Mystic03

Established Member
just curious...do you pump straight to the car or do you have 5-10 gal jugs you pump into first (to test e85) how does it look?

gaspasr

Established Member
OP, did the hesitation just start happening I assume after 8 months with no warning? Had you ever logged your fuel pressure prior to this to see what was going on...or perhaps not because you didn't feel that "Hesitation" as you say so you assumed all was good. What pumps were you running when this happened? Were you running the Walbro 405's? I spoken with Justin Fore and he indicated that they were plenty fine for e85 with only 15% less life span which is still plenty of hours for that pump on e85.

Triple-S...why do you think that is the result of the pumps themselves and not something else like the gas station or bad fuel lines?

It was running fine. I hardly get on it but I felt it hesitate past 4.5k rpm one day. That made me check filter. I replaced it and 25 miles, 6 days later pumps die. Currently awaiting on the 465s. Going to inspect tank, wiring, fitment etc. Jared is adapting them to fit my hat. Ill report back.

Pumps were the 400lph that came with lethal 1200kit (ordered around 5/12).
Never had a reason to log. Seemed to run just fine except a difficult cold start at times.

gaspasr

Established Member
just curious...do you pump straight to the car or do you have 5-10 gal jugs you pump into first (to test e85) how does it look?

Straight from the gas station. If I have to resort to the latter, then ill get a 93 tune and be forever done with E85. As it is, having to check often the new SS filter I ordered is going to be enough of an inconvenience.

gaspasr

Established Member
Pumps bottoming out in the tank or bad wiring can cause these pumps to go bad quick.

Both orange and yellow wires going through spare tire grommet are carrying around 11.89-11.91v when I checked with cheap meter from harbor freight.
My tank is not bent from what I can see. Will have more info this weekend when tank comes down.

04sleeper, my car belonged to 96lasersnake. His had so many cars I don't think he remembers it himself:lol: I won't feel bad if you don't. :beer:

triple-s

Established Member

The reason I say this is cause I experienced the same problem with aeromotive stealth pumps.we check the filter and they looked the same as op posted so we check the lines the tank and didn't know what could've of done this. Then I look at the bottom of the pump and notice the turbine on the pump looked shiny. Luckly my friend had just got some the other day so we compared them to the new pumps turbines and those we're black coated not shiny like mine. Then I sent them to aeromotive to get check out for the warranty and this was confirmed also with them.they said the e85 had ate the coating off thus going down the line and clogging up the filter and the making pump work harder and burning out.I was also told by them that maybe I shouldn't use them for e85 even though they market them as being e85 compatible. So now I use the Stryker 340 and haven't had a problem since.

sohc_mshue

Established Member
I am having an identical issue here. Two brand new Full blown 340 pumps. Car ran fine on one tank of gas, switched to e85 from a different station and bam immediately seeing drops in fuel pressure. I pulled the filter out and it was clogged. Cleaned the filter, stuck it back in and all was fine until a day later it clogged again and pressure again dropped under boost. Filter looks the same as yours. Pumps do not seem to be malfunctioning at all though when filter is unclogged.

gaspasr

Established Member
I just installed 465 pumps. My tank was pristine inside when I installed new pumps. Old dead pumps (400s) looked like they were installed appropriately (proper height, wiring). My tank was not bent etc. I went with a 10 micron paper filter first and going to keep a close eye on it. I also switched to a different brand e85. Will report back soon.

Users who are viewing this thread