Did I lose my tune from off the ECU?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
My Dyno tuner uploaded a tune after some dyno pulls to my SCT X4 and about two week later it seems like my car doesn't recognize the tune. When i turn on the car the tuner powers up and the menu can read vin number etc but it wont let me see IAT and other readings which i really need. I'm afraid to do WOT pulls because i don't know 100% if i still have a tune or not, id hate to go lean and fry a piston. I posted this question in the Engine/Tuning section but it never saw anyone. Any help would be appreciated.

96gt02

Established Member
I have a few questions before giving you a better answer, I doubt the car lost the tune, its much more likely that your tuner bricked up.
Under device info does it show married or unmarried?
Can you return the car back to the stock tune?
Did your dyno tuner direct flash your ECM or use the X4 to tune it?
Have you setup a datalog config file or used this tuner to datalog previously?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I have a few questions before giving you a better answer, I doubt the car lost the tune, its much more likely that your tuner bricked up.
Under device info does it show married or unmarried?
Can you return the car back to the stock tune?
Did your dyno tuner direct flash your ECM or use the X4 to tune it?
Have you setup a datalog config file or used this tuner to datalog previously?

I just checked it and my device is married, I do have the option to click the “return to stock” button, I’ll be honest I’m not sure if it was a direct flash or not. As far as I understood, he did some pulls with the car, made some adjustments in a file, uploaded the changes to the tuner and then the tuner did it’s thing to the ecu. And to your last question, no I didn’t do any data logging, I wanted to but didn’t have time because it crapped out before I could.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Have you tried unplugging the handheld and restarting it?

Yes I’ve been running with it unplugged for a while because it hasn’t really served me a purpose since it stopped working. Every once in a while I’ll plug it back in hoping that it fixed itself overtime but no.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ok, while I'm no computer expert, your ECU can't lose its tune as far as I know. You have to overwrite the program with the handheld. Just the same if you want to return it to stock, you have to manually do that.

I couldn't quite read what messages you were getting when trying to datalog.

96gt02

Established Member
Ok well first before you do anything else, try to configure the datalog first. So click the middle button under the gauges tab (instead of then continue button you tried first in your video) that says configuration and then select what you actually want to datalog, there are thousands of things you can datalog so you need to tell it what you want to watch otherwise it won't work.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Ok well first before you do anything else, try to configure the datalog first. So click the middle button under the gauges tab (instead of then continue button you tried first in your video) that says configuration and then select what you actually want to datalog, there are thousands of things you can datalog so you need to tell it what you want to watch otherwise it won't work.

I tried that but it says “DataLog Files Not Found, required data log files not found. Check tune revision. Turn key off”

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I've never logged just using the handheld; I have to have my laptop hooked up. I imagine you can monitor with the handheld. Is that an option.

Guessing you were using the datalog function before but was your laptop hooked up?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I've never logged just using the handheld; I have to have my laptop hooked up. I imagine you can monitor with the handheld. Is that an option.

Guessing you were using the datalog function before but was your laptop hooked up?
Yes I was monitoring IAC, downstream temps and coolant before but wasn’t actually “logging” anything if that makes sense. What do u use to log with your laptop? That is an option that I need to start doing myself.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
Yeah with the X4 you do not need to use a laptop to datalog, however I use a laptop myself so i dont have one huge datalog file for my tuner. You just download the livelink program from the sct website to datalog with a laptop. But your not even actually trying to datalog here if im understanding you correct you just want to have active gauges but not really save anything thats all kinda pointless to use with a laptop when you dont need it

96gt02

Established Member
My next step that id recommend since SCT is closed till monday, would be to contact your dyno shop and figure out how they flashed your ECM ( with this X4 and their tune or direct flash) if they are even open now. Then assuming they used this X4 to flash it, Id say return the car back to stock, then update the tuner to the latest firmware and try to reflash the ECM and see if that fixes it.

If your unable to flash it back to the stock tune for whatever reason (if your shop flashed it with the X4) then something is very wrong, most likely with the device and you will have to see what SCT says about everything, hopefully you bought it new so it has a warranty.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
My next step that id recommend since SCT is closed till monday, would be to contact your dyno shop and figure out how they flashed your ECM ( with this X4 and their tune or direct flash) if they are even open now. Then assuming they used this X4 to flash it, Id say return the car back to stock, then update the tuner to the latest firmware and try to reflash the ECM and see if that fixes it.

If your unable to flash it back to the stock tune for whatever reason (if your shop flashed it with the X4) then something is very wrong, most likely with the device and you will have to see what SCT says about everything, hopefully you bought it new so it has a warranty.

Ok, thanks for the help man but I think this is borderline getting out of my realm of comfort if something were to go wrong. I think just to be safe I’ll take the car to the dyno shop and see if he can sort it out. I did buy it new but I threw away all paper work on it so I doubt they’ll honor a warranty. We’ll see I guess. Thanks again guys

MG0h3

Established Member
At this point I would go with what 96gt said. Your tune should be stored in the handheld. Go the program function and follow the prompts. See if the file is there, if you know what it is named.

96gt02

Established Member
Another easy thing for you to check, If you have the device updater (if not you can also download it for free on the sct website) plug your tuner into your computer and with the device updater you can try to save the stock ecm file to your computer just to see if the device in fact has the stock file still or not, Also you would be able to see what custom tunes are on the device all without having to worry about messing anything up with the car itself.

MG0h3

Established Member
Dont update before returning to stock though!! Unlesss something has changed, that will brick the handheld.

If the handheld doesn't have your tune in it, the tuner can email it Im sure.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the tune update was interrupted before the final tune was uploaded? (unplugged from port.)
Are you sure the dyno shop uploaded the final tune as well? Sometimes mistakes happen. Obviously your SCT isn't seeing the file, so maybe it's not even on there.
Just a thought.

96gt02

Established Member
Yeah he is correct, your not actually updating the tuner with the updater program, just checking it to see what files are on the tuner. If I had to bet Id say your X4 bricked somehow, unfortunately SCT are not know for their great quality.

cj428mach

Established Member
I wonder if the tune update was interrupted before the final tune was uploaded? (unplugged from port.)
Are you sure the dyno shop uploaded the final tune as well? Sometimes mistakes happen. Obviously your SCT isn't seeing the file, so maybe it's not even on there.
Just a thought.

Interruption during the flashing process will result in the car not starting and the fans running full time with the key on.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yep. He has some tune in there. The car was running.

It is kindof odd that the handheld stopped working suddenly. I don't think him needing an update to the handheld software is the case. I have also heard they aren't of the best quality. Mine was kindof finicky during tuning and would lose comms sometimes and I'd have to restart.

Users who are viewing this thread