Diablo Chip

AtlCobra01

Established Member
Has anyone with a 99-01 Cobra had any problems with their Diablo chip? I have already had 3 different files programmed on it and I am still Detonating :cuss: .. Is there a better chip with better gains that anyone can recommend? I am probably just going to get them to refund me my $270 and spend it on something else? Also, how about the C&L MAM upgrade with K&N? Is it worth it or should I go a different route for cold air induction. Thanks in advance.

Paull B

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Have you tried an aftermarket pipe? I've heard that Bassani Xs can help the detonation problem...

P.S. You'll get better luck with technical questions in the Cobra-specific forums, I'll move it there (New Edge Cobras) and leave a redirect...

LTrain

Established Member
The chip isnt to blame. It's only doing what its told to do. What you need to do, is get a quality tune on a dyno.

Larry

dave58

seldom impressed
Established Member
You run a similar setup to my own. Dynoed two weeks ago..... 299 rwhp/ 305.1 ft/lbs tq.
And a dyno curve that looks like the San Andreas :shrug:

There's a guy coming to Team Ford in Marietta this weekend to do some "special" tuning for several of us, named Jerry Wobolowski. He's the guy that did a buttload of the code for SVT on the Cobras. You might want to try and contact Aric Carrion at Team Ford real quick.

AtlCobra01

Established Member
dave. good that you are pretty close. did I miss out on that tune? I was in NC this past weekend. I'm going to call Team tomorrow. That's where I bought the car.

SVT4POP

Established Member
AtlCobra01, ...

I have an Autologic chip in my '99 and it seems to run fine. I also have a C&L MAF - CAI system and am pleased with the performance increase. You could spend a little more money and go with a Densencharger (sp?) system or Pro-M.

The MAF upgrade is one of the cheapest and quickest ways to grab from 6 - 8 additional horsies while improving the overall breatheability of your engine.

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
I have a superchips from Paul's high performance, it has been flawless from square one. it has been the last mod, after the bassani x w/cats, pullies, BBK (Big Bouncha Krap) cold air, pro-m 87mm. the chip was tuned for thes mods...I have heard a lot of chip horror stories....I think the tune on the chips some people are getting sucks, and it isn't calibrated for their specific mods.

AtlCobra01

Established Member
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been quite busy. Anyway, I finally said "to hell with it" and got rid of the chip. I got the 80MM MAM and guess what, it was still detonating. I took it into the dealership and had them check it out. They said that they ran the tests on it (with the stock MAM) and they found a "slight" abnormality. They went ahead and "flashed" the computer. Well, I left the dealership and got on the gas to see if my *ghhhhhhhh* pinging I heard before, and IT WAS STILL THERE!!!! I went back to the dealership and they told me to drop it off and they would check it out again. I went ahead and had a tech ride with me and he said he "SLIGHTLY" heard it but said it sounded like spark knock. What the hell is going on? I haven't had the chance to drop it back off. It's been about 2 weeks now.

SVT4POP

Established Member
AtlCobra01, ...

Unfortunately, you appear to be having a problem as common with your year and make as the '99 Cobra's did with the originally undersized and underpowered engine. This site has been somewhat prolific as to addressing/logging complaints similar if not identical to yours. :mj:

I have several suggestions. First, I'd contact the Section Leader/Session Leader of this thread/site and ask for references to those responses to threads/issues similar to yours. Second, I'd get in touch (email would likely be fastest) with the editors of either (or both) "Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords" or "5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords" magazines and plead your case. From the reading I've been doing, they're very sharp and have the benefit from a truck-load of experience.

Last, I'd play hardball with the dealership and tell them you're going to post your negative experience on this net, the corral.net and stangnet web sites so that others including Ford factory regional reps who also peruse these threads can see how badly Ford customers are being treated. (Conversely, some of our "brothers" out there have great relationships with their dealershops and you might consider calling that "recommended" dealership to hear their response to the problem.)

If you race anywhere or know of any local or regional Mustang Car clubs it's likely someone there will have experienced the same problem and can suggest a "fix".

I guarantee that there are a number of us who "share your pain", ... hope these suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread