Dewalt 20v Cordless Shop-Vac | Is it Junk???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You guys have probably heard me mention that dealing with sand in your car is just a part of life when living in the south. I've been thinking about getting a small vacuum to leave in the trunk of the car just to do quick touch-up work while on trips. Since I already have a bunch of Dewalt 20V tools, I was thinking about picking up their shop-vac. I was wondering if anyone here had tried one:

https://amzn.to/2YvQr16

Saleen498

Established Member
Subscribing, I've had this in my Amazon cart for weeks now and haven't pulled the trigger

and Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Also wondering, I was about to buy the Milwaukee one since that’s the batteries I have.
My buddy says they work great to clean out his tractor cabs, but that’s rubber floors. Interested to see how they do on carpet.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Skip that little one. It doesn't hold enough garbage. Go for the full size you can get it with a plug or without.

My father has a plug one he uses for his inspection business, I have plugless.

It's a game changer, might actually buy another since my wife has basically stolen it for use around the house.

Suck power is equivalent to any small shop-vac, it's solid, well built and you get decent life out of a battery charge. I have 6 batteries since I committed to Dewalt across the board and now have 8 tools.

Biggest thing is pick a color and stick with it to leverage your batteries and chargers. I picked DeWalt since it's still American owned and designed (Milwaukee is Hong Kong/CCP). DeWalt has also made an effort to bring back US assembly work.

Screenshot_20200624-090710.jpeg
Screenshot_20200624-090704__01.jpeg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Also wondering, I was about to buy the Milwaukee one since that’s the batteries I have.
My buddy says they work great to clean out his tractor cabs, but that’s rubber floors. Interested to see how they do on carpet.
I really like the ergonomics of the Dewalt but the Milwaukee does look like it packs up nicer.

As I said in my above post, pick a color and battery system and stick to it. Makes life so much easier instead of having 4 different Chargers and batteries, and it becomes really nice to just be able to swap out a battery and keep going.

In terms of performance, quality and reliability, Milwaukee, DeWalt and Maketa are all very close as ProSumer Grade tools.

Screenshot_20200624-091624__01.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
damn you guys, didnt even know this was a thing and now I need one... half the time I don't vacuum up the truck and stuff because I dont wanna deal with the chords

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d probably use this around the house more than outside (8/4/1 year old boys) but I’m not sure I can justify the price to myself or the soulless demon that presides over our home.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I’d probably use this around the house more than outside (8/4/1 year old boys) but I’m not sure I can justify the price to myself or the soulless demon that presides over our home.

LOLOLOL thanks for the laugh. I needed that. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a much larger "Dust Buster" type vac, but one of these might do the trick. I've got an Australian Cattle Dog who's sole purpose in life is to generate and distribute hair around my house.

80-img9522891_zpstx3phjks_7302aeaa2c7d979b38cbe3989fc1c317cad2eef8.jpg

Fat Boss

Established Member
OK I bought one and it works ok. Not huge suction like a full size shop vac, but it works for what I need it for. Dog hair and cobwebs get vacuumed up adequately. My only beef is it needs a longer, rigid tube between the flex and the nozzle piece. I'll see if some PVC or something will be a snug fit.

BTW I have a bunch of Craftsman 19.2V tools, and was able to buy an adapter to use the new DeWalt batteries with them. That's a huge bonus.

I'm not sure it has enough suction for sand or hair from auto carpet though. Maybe without the nozzle piece?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I only vacuum my car after washing it, so the central vac outlet in the garage with a 20' hose works well for me. Good suction. But, these cordless vacs are ready handy on the run. The Milwaukee M18 looks nice. I already have the battery and charger. Hmmmm.

Tylerc

Established Member
I have the Milwaukee, it's honestly a game changer for me at work. All the attachments fit inside the lid in their own spots. Don't have to worry about all the pieces falling off everywhere.

Fat Boss

Established Member
My only beef is it needs a longer, rigid tube between the flex and the nozzle piece. I'll see if some PVC or something will be a snug fit.

I made a longer suction tube attachment out of 1" PVC. I glued two 1" couplers together, end to end, then stuffed about a two and a half foot long piece of 1" PVC into one coupler. I used two couplers due to the angle cut tube on the factory end of the shop vac tube. Using two allows it to just slip together and work without modifying the vacuum end.

It really made the vacuum much, much easier and more effective to use. I can reach up above furniture to get cobwebs, including up into my skylights where even at five foot fourteen I was unable to reach prior. Also walking around vacuuming corners and at the bottom of walls is done in an upright, bipedal striding gait- rather than hunched over like an ape. :rolleyes:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Milwaukee, it's honestly a game changer for me at work. All the attachments fit inside the lid in their own spots. Don't have to worry about all the pieces falling off everywhere.

I was looking at the smaller handheld (I guess they have 3, 2 m18s and an m12 so not the dust buster one) but I keep seeing about them cutting off. I just dont think Id use the toolbox style for cleaning out the truck or little tiny crap around the house

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Skip that little one. It doesn't hold enough garbage. Go for the full size you can get it with a plug or without.

My father has a plug one he uses for his inspection business, I have plugless.

It's a game changer, might actually buy another since my wife has basically stolen it for use around the house.

Suck power is equivalent to any small shop-vac, it's solid, well built and you get decent life out of a battery charge. I have 6 batteries since I committed to Dewalt across the board and now have 8 tools.

Biggest thing is pick a color and stick with it to leverage your batteries and chargers. I picked DeWalt since it's still American owned and designed (Milwaukee is Hong Kong/CCP). DeWalt has also made an effort to bring back US assembly work.

View attachment 1648114View attachment 1648115

I have this one, it's a great little vacuum.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
LOLOLOL thanks for the laugh. I needed that. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a much larger "Dust Buster" type vac, but one of these might do the trick. I've got an Australian Cattle Dog who's sole purpose in life is to generate and distribute hair around my house.

View attachment 1648141
We had to get a robot vac to keep up with the dog hair.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm holding out for EGO to make one. I have their hedge trimmer, blower and edger. You can't beat 56v power.

Users who are viewing this thread