DeTomaso Pantera

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Not sure the guy in the Pantera would call this a Kill (or me for that matter) but here it goes. I got out of work early to do some X-mas Shopping:cuss: , I get on the I-10 west bound in Ontario headed towards LA and I'm in the fast lane doing 65-80 as traffic is always F'd up on the 10 -this is at 3:00pm. From behind me I see DEEEP red paint on a wedge front end. I drop to the 2nd lane so he can get next to me and so I can take a better look at this AWESOME vehicle- Deep red with a wing, chromed suspension, massive rr tires, and that unmistakeable Pantera stance!! This was one sharp ride. Anyway, he gets up to my window and we kinda look each others car over, I give him a thumbs up and mouth "nice car", all the while smiling like a mongoloid. He returns the compliment and he bumps it once, we had slowed a bit during the exchage and had a fair amount of room in front of us and I give the throttle a goose ;-) . We're doing about 65 and I see his car squat as he hits it, kinda caught me off guard as I was still admiring the Pantera, he gets about a car length and I downshit to 3rd and put a whole in my floor board where the gas pedal used to be and then I grab fourth, by the time I look down at the speedo, it says 115 but it's actually about 109 with the right speedo gear-it's in my centter console, what can I say? I'm lazy! I'm sure he was still in it- about 6-7 lengths behind me but we caught up to traffic. we let off and no acknowledgment, thumbs up, or nod but I dont care I just dig the hell outta that car O his. I back off so I can get behind him as I havent looked at it enough. I admire his car till he takes one FWY and I took another. I guess the reason I can't really count this as a kill is; I was not sure that he actually gave it all it had. I was under the impression that those 351 Clevelands and a light body would give him a bit of an advantage over me. Maybe he was ascared of the traffic? Anyway , sorry this got so long.

Last edited:

CraneClan

Injun along at 140
Established Member
He definitely was NOT still in it. No flame on your Cobra either, so don't take it like that. When I was young and stupider, I used to pick up vehicles from Ford for repair. Needless to say, I drove a lot of Panteras. This was between 1972 and 1975, 74 being the last year for them. Anyway, in a 74, I raced a 454 Corvette on one of the main thoroughfares and beat him badly. TWICE. Once from a 30 roll, and then again from a light, as it seemed he couldn't believe his almighty vette could be taken so easily. The road-racing shifter on the ZF takes some getting used to, but like anything, it can be mastered even for drag racing. The Pantera was definitely one of the more powerful cars I've driven in my life. If in good running order, your Cobra would be no match. Depending on your mods, of course.

Last edited:

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I hear ya, I love those cars. I didnt/dont know the particulars on the Pantera so I couldnt be sure. There was much respect coming from both sides, can't deny a classic no matter how old or new or who makes it.
I'm sure he had his foot in it for a little bit, even if it was only for display. In any case I was just happy to have saw the car and played a bit, however serious or 'in it' he was. Twas A blast!! Happy Holidays everybody :D

Alex

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
:lol:

I'm pretty sure it was MPH. But my eyes aint what they used to be:coolman:
heheh :)

On my chevy I have a LED display and there is a switch to flip between Kilometers and miles per hour It is fun to drive down the interstate @ 195 :D

Users who are viewing this thread