Denting header on the car....

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
So, I've got everything installed and getting ready to put the steering shaft back (I should have checked before, but honestly just slipped my mind). Yeah, the steering shaft is going to rub.
Now that the headers are installed, is there an "easy" way to dent these things while their ON the car? I have the driver's side tire off and I can see where it needs to be clearanced...but getting a good hit with a mini-sledge is not going to happen. I've tried taking an extension and placing it where I want but when I strike the primary, it just slides off....

Also, I considered trying to slide the motor over, but the collectors are SUPER close to the frame under the car. I can try it if needed, but don't see it being a good solution.

Any tricks to denting the primary without completely removing the header to do so?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you get a pry bar between the tube and a body part? If you can, bend a little at a time until you've got enough clearance. The bigger the dent you need the more difficult this would be. Someone did this once on a Chevy and it worked for him. Just a thought.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Can you get a pry bar between the tube and a body part? If you can, bend a little at a time until you've got enough clearance. The bigger the dent you need the more difficult this would be. Someone did this once on a Chevy and it worked for him. Just a thought.

I think I read that when was searching the other day...that may be what I end up trying. Its the last little thing I have to do (outside of hook the mid-pipe to the back half of the exhaust).
I appreciate it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sure. Wish I could help more. Let me/us know how you make out.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I did a mixture of denting the header and putting a few washers under the motor mount.

Yeah, I did some BMR adjustable motor mounts as well. I'm going to get back under the car tonight and take a look. If some washers will work, I'd rather do that...but I think it's going to take a little massaging IMO.

Just out of curiosity, when you dented your headers - where they on the car and if so, how did you do it? I'm probably going to give the prybar method above a try, but curious to see how you may have done it.

Blown38

Established Member
Can you get a torch in there to heat it up red hot? When I did ours I heated it up and used a socket so it was a nice smooth dent lol. Header was out of the car tho.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Yeah, I did some BMR adjustable motor mounts as well. I'm going to get back under the car tonight and take a look. If some washers will work, I'd rather do that...but I think it's going to take a little massaging IMO.

Just out of curiosity, when you dented your headers - where they on the car and if so, how did you do it? I'm probably going to give the prybar method above a try, but curious to see how you may have done it.

The motor mounts may actually be the issue. I actually looked for a set when I still had rubbing as I thought I could find a set to raise the motor an 1/16-1/8" or so. Every set of motor mounts I found caused the motor to sit lower than the factory mounts. I never found one set the raised the motor so I gave up and did the washers.

I dented prior to install so it was easier. Placed a piece of pipe on the header and gave it a few good whacks. You might still be able to do it on the car by heating pipe to red hot and taking a small pipe or socket and smack it with a hammer.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you get a torch in there to heat it up red hot? When I did ours I heated it up and used a socket so it was a nice smooth dent lol. Header was out of the car tho.

This. Use a small butane torch and heat up the metal. Then take a long pry bar like Bob suggested and bend the metal in just enough.

MG0h3

Established Member
Can you get the shaft in at all?

I know what you’re saying about the extension or device sliding off the primary when you hit it.

If you can get the shaft in, then jack the engine up on that side 1/2 inch. The shaft would stop you extension from sliding down when you strike it.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Greatly appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm going to take a look at it and try some of these options this weekend. The header clearance, reconnecting the steering and then the exhaust from the mid-pipe back is all I have left.
I want this done lol.

Installing headers isn't the hardest thing steps wise, but there are certain bolts that are a complete PITA.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
The motor mounts may actually be the issue. I actually looked for a set when I still had rubbing as I thought I could find a set to raise the motor an 1/16-1/8" or so. Every set of motor mounts I found caused the motor to sit lower than the factory mounts. I never found one set the raised the motor so I gave up and did the washers.

I dented prior to install so it was easier. Placed a piece of pipe on the header and gave it a few good whacks. You might still be able to do it on the car by heating pipe to red hot and taking a small pipe or socket and smack it with a hammer.

The BMR motor mounts are "supposed" to be setup so you can have the motor as the stock level, then two shims you can remove to lower if needed. It may be off some, but it doesn't appear to be much.

Users who are viewing this thread