Denso Spark Plugs

HISS

Established Member
Guys,
I am the proud owner of a 03 Mineral Grey Cobra. My only mods are a C&L 95MM Mass Air Meter with the K&N. According to C&L, they have noted a 23 rwhp gain.
My question is the following. With the few modifications I have, would I benefit from Denso plugs? What would be a reasonable hp gain and what heat range would I use?
Thanks for your input
Gene

stangin

Established Member
Spark Plugs

No performance gain per say, but it could prevent a misfire with stock plugs. I went with TR6's at .038, didnt notice a difference power wise, but I did put a CAI at the same time and now the car hits about 5000 rpm and breaks the tires loose just before i have to shift and it did not do this before the CAI and plugs so between the two (mostly the CAI) I did pick up quite a bit of power. You should go one step colder on the new plugs from stock. I dont think I would spend all that money on plugs, but up to you. In fact I might just go with Autolites next time.

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> ...would I benefit from Denso plugs?

Sure. But you will probably not notice much aside from a smoother idle.

> ...what heat range would I use?

Depends on whether your stock plugs are AGSF-32FM1 or AGSF-22FM1 or AGSF-12FM1. Generally:

AGSF-32FM1 = IT20
AGSF-22FM1 = IT20
AGSF-12FM1 = IT22

Keep in mind that Densos usually run colder than their counterparts in the same heat range.

BOOOOST

Established Member
IT20 if you're stock to exhaust work, and IT22 if you're pullied with whatever mods.

Gap 'em to .040 to .044 on IT20 stock to exhaust work, and .032 to .038 if you're pullied with whatever mods.

HISS

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback! I am suprised by the seat odf the pants feeling with the adding of the addition the 95MM Mass air and the air filter.

stangin

Established Member
Hiss,

Its more from the K&N air filter than the plugs, I just removed my paper filter on the second dyno run and got 13 HP just from removing the paper filter and no cool down time inbetween runs, so I probably would have yeilded more HP if I let it cool down before the second dyno run.

366 rwhp stock with paper airfilter

381 rwhp just removing the paper filter and running it again, no cool down

I put the CAI on and it was most noticably faster as the tires break loose now at 5000 rpm's just before I have to shift. Im going to do a dyno with just the CAI and stock exhaust before I put in the exhaust, chip and pulley. Im thinking from the way it feels it is probably close to 400 rwhp with just the CAI, we will see next week.

Users who are viewing this thread