Delving Deeper into the stall/idle issue...

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Ok, for those of you who haven't seen my posts on the problems with stalling and idle problems, I'll give you a little recap. WARNING: THIS POST MAY BE LONG :)

My car started stalling at about 6000 miles. I had the 1st Gen Densecharger, 2.93 pulley, NGK plugs gapped by Terry at SFPHQ, and a Tri-Ax shifter. The stalling happened on deaccelleration, and seemed to be the typical stall everyone was talking about. I wasn't worried.
I cut out my mufflers (20 HP on the dyno rear wheel for $40) and I installed the AR Diablo Chip. After the chip was installed, I noticed the stall started to get a little worse. I posted on this forum http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36442&highlight=stalling
and recieved some excellent advise. I changed from the Densecharger to an open filter K&N, and tried to follow Larryc7777's instructions on recalibrating the IAC. The stall seemed to lessen, but the idle never really was the same, varying between 720 and 1300 RPM. I figured that the IAC was trying to recalibrate.
Last friday, I was sitting at a stop sign, and I started noticing a little miss while the car was idling. I brought the RPMs up to about 2500 slowly, and heard and felt the misses as the RPM increased. The car's exhaust had been popping and gurgling on deceleration, I figured it was just because I had removed the mufflers. But now I am noticing that it seems to be getting worse and a mechanic out at the track told me the popping is because of either a lean condition or rich condition when I am off the throttle.
I took the car to my friendly neighborhood dyno center, and pulled the plugs and regapped them. BTW, I would highly recomend anyone with "pre-gapped" NGK_TR6s from SFPHQ to recheck their gaps, as my gaps varied from .039 to .048. Terry had told me that the plugs were pregapped to .040.
The A/F ratio on the dyno looked great, all the way through the powerband. With my mods, I pulled 455 RWHP and 470 RWTQ. However, I still had the popping, almost a backfire sound, on deceleration, and the car was still obviously missing.
Can someone help me out with this problem? I have put in a call to Rick at Amazon Racing, I know he will help me out, but I have always recieved excellent advise on this forum. Should I return the car to stock and have Ford reflash the program? Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread