Deleting the A/C???

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Alrighty, I plan on deleting the A/C this winter and I was wondering if anybody else had done it. My main question was whether or not you must buy the A/C delete pulley setup or if you could just run a shorter belt somehow. Anybody?

CobraBallz97

Established Member
i've also thought about doing this. i never use my AC...even on the hottest summer days. windows down is good enough for me:rolling: can u expect any gains from this? i would expect very minimal

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Well I did mine. I used the dead pully kit and just used the same belt. It just bolts right in the stock location. I'm not 100% sure on the short belt, but I wouldnt see why not.

Make sure you wear appropriate clothing, googles, long sleeves, when working around the AC. The freon can really harm you and possibly blind you if not done correctly.

When I did mine, no freon was left. So I didnt have to worry about it. But I was still careful because I did not know that at the time.

BTW you lose around 33lbs. I felt a SOTP different without the AC.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
that is front end weight, so even better :D

Because you 4.6 people need all the help you can on a 50/50 distribution.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Have no idea, but taking it all out I think takes 40 pounds off our heavy pigs.

Good luck

coolguy10786

Established Member
I don't think you could just use a shorter belt without reconfiguring the tensioner. If you could figure out a way to remount it or make it work as is, then you'd be good to go. I don't think it would be that simple to do though.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I have a $6,000 A/C machine at my shop, so I don't have to worry about the freon. :) I plan on removing it all...compressor, condensor, lines, everything. I was thinking about fabricating my own idler pulley for it, but we'll see. Thanks guys!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
I plan on removing it all...compressor, condensor, lines, everything.

Are you removing the heater core to?

Becasue on my system. I removed the compressor, condensor, and lines. But behind the radiator is another thing. I decided not to remove it. Not worth the hassle for a pound or two. I dont know if the 4.6's are the same as the 5.0's in terms of how many parts the AC system has.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Bullitt66 said:
can i bypass the A/C and P/S with a shorter belt like i do on the 5.0?

Nope. You'll need the A/C Delete pulley. Running a shorter belt won't work because of the way the belt routes.

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
buy the AC delete..I have one on my 97....shorted blet was running my car hot for some unknown reason :shrug:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Midnight_Cobra said:
Are you removing the heater core to?

Becasue on my system. I removed the compressor, condensor, and lines. But behind the radiator is another thing. I decided not to remove it. Not worth the hassle for a pound or two. I dont know if the 4.6's are the same as the 5.0's in terms of how many parts the AC system has.
The condensor is in front of the radiator, the only other thing left is the evaporator and it's in the passanger compartment.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Little round thing on the firewall? that would be the accumulator/drier.

Discharge of the compressor, Compresses freon gas through the condensor in front of the radiator. There it "Condenses" to a liquid. from there goes to the drier to get moisture out. Throught the orfice tube into the evaporator. The orfice tube makes it flash from liquid to gas again by creating a pressure drop.

When it flashes to a gas it is super cooled. now the cold gas goes through the evaporator core where your fan blows across it into the cabin. The gas is now at lower pressure and goes back to the suction of the compressor.

A/C 101 complete.

Unless you want GMs version which doesn't use a drier but a accumulator instead.

Drier= high side before orfice and evap.
Accum= low side after orfice and evap.
Both have the same function and mounted on the firewall in pretty much the same location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread