Degreeing my cams and my left intake is late 12*

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Since the followers have rollers these cams don't need a break in. They're not like the old school flat tappet cams.

Although I still fire up an engine and then change the oil out right after to get rid of the assembly lube and stuff.

Happster

Established Member
Since the followers have rollers these cams don't need a break in. They're not like the old school flat tappet cams.

Although I still fire up an engine and then change the oil out right after to get rid of the assembly lube and stuff.
Yeah, I questioned it even as a hack mechanic, but the lawyer in me saw the lingo requiring that i follow the procedure or the warranty would be void, so I figured not doing so was foolish.

Happster

Established Member
Numbers are in. 502 HP at the rear wheels, 585 lbs. of torque, 17.7 lbs. of boost. A little disappointing...thought I'd be deeper into the 500's, but she screws. They suggested I pull the 4 lb. lower pulley and go down to a 2 lber...getting too much boost too quickly according to them. Thoughts?

Quick Strike

Established Member
Do you still have the stock heat exchanger? That TQ number can not be reached on 93 octane with a ported eaton alone. Your cams and head porting probably gave you another 40-50 fl/lbs there. I think you are getting too much heat at the higher RPMs and killing the HP there, or they stopped the run at a lower RPM (out of injector, MAF or fuel). Where did they end the pulls as far as RPMs? If they stopped at 5500 you left some HP unrecorded. Your cams should pull to 6500 easily.

Happster

Established Member
Do you still have the stock heat exchanger? That TQ number can not be reached on 93 octane with a ported eaton alone. Your cams and head porting probably gave you another 40-50 fl/lbs there. I think you are getting too much heat at the higher RPMs and killing the HP there, or they stopped the run at a lower RPM (out of injector, MAF or fuel). Where did they end the pulls as far as RPMs? If they stopped at 5500 you left some HP unrecorded. Your cams should pull to 6500 easily.
Not sure if heat exchanger is stock...came with a Terminator conversion package online with no details on that. Pulleys and MAF were aftermarket for sure. They stopped the pull at just under 6000. Torque and boost peaked at about 3700 and HP peaked st 5400. AFR steady throughout.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Read the whole thread, great work! Has the finance committee gotten back to you yet? Whipple just released a 3 liter blower. You sound like the perfect candidate for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happster

Established Member
Ha, no. I wish. Thanks though. Hopefully helpful to first time cam degreeing folks. I spent 60 hours on a 10 hour job through trial and error. Get that dial indicator base stable on the head, don't ever turn counter clockwise and be ready to file the key on the intake cams to get them dialed in. .006 inch off the key for every degree needed was spot on.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I will be degreeing my cams on a freshly built engine so all of this info was extremely helpful. Luckily my engines on the stand.

Happster

Established Member
I will be degreeing my cams on a freshly built engine so all of this info was extremely helpful. Luckily my engines on the stand.

Great! Wish I pulled my motor. Some people like to freeze the chain tensioners open to prevent the slag factor too. I did both and didn't notice a difference, but for what it is worth.. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread