EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I'm still having a hard time getting my head around how to properly degree the cams on the 4v! I have yet to find a thread on here or modularfords that fully explained the process and what was required.

Please I need to know:

1) Whats tools I will need
2) Is there a trustworthy adjustable cam gear? It seems like the Cloyes gears ( Cloyes Adjustable Cam Gears ) get a good reputation but you still can't adjust the intake cam in relation to the exhaust cam so it's pretty limited. The only real option I could find for truly adjustable gear "system" was from Mod Cam Ponents which I have only been able to find through Modular Performance ( 4v cam timing system )
3) How to do it! (with either the stock gears with a ground keyway, or an adjustable system)

Thanks! Let's hope this thread clarifies this very unclear subject once and for all!

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I actually bought the DVD already but it's sitting back home with the rest of my parts and I won't be back there until august, which is when I'm starting the build (I'm currently on an international work assignment). I was pretty amazed that a "$24.95" DVD could end up costing me $60 too......

Anyways I really need to know before I head home how I will be doing this because I need to get the tools and parts now!

Stupercharged

Established Member
a degree wheel and a dial indicator is what you'll need. throw the degree wheel on the front of the cam and your dial indicator on the valve side of the lifter so when the cam would be lifting the valve the dial indicator moves instead of the valve. first you have to find top dead center. are you looking for advertised or actual lifts and durations?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
a degree wheel and a dial indicator is what you'll need. throw the degree wheel on the front of the cam and your dial indicator on the valve side of the lifter so when the cam would be lifting the valve the dial indicator moves instead of the valve. first you have to find top dead center. are you looking for advertised or actual lifts and durations?

No I'm not looking to see that the cams are at their advertised specs, I'm just trying to ensure they are installed in the correct clock position.

There is no adjustability in the stock timing chain/gear assembly and if you just install the cams using the stock equipment and procedure, when you check the degree of your camshafts you can find them to be well out from where they should be. I've read of cases where people have found their cams to be out over 10 degrees! If they aren't opening and closing the valves at the time they're supposed to be opening and closing them you will definitely lose power, how much obviously depends on how bad they are out. This is one bad thing about an engine with 4 camshafts, not only can they be out, they can be out in relation to each other and make things even worse.

This is definitely one reason why every Cobra that was produced doesn't put down the same power, some cars put down lower numbers than others and it's quite possible that one of the main reasons for this is because the cams are out more.

Stupercharged

Established Member
o ok. well if u pull out #1 spark plug and turn over the engine you can feel the valves in the cylinder and the air being pushed out on the compression stroke. #1 should be on compression and #6 cylinder will be in overlap if the cam is in straight up (0 advance/retard)

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Yeah that's not exactly the precise procedure I'm looking for... lol

I might just go ahead and get the Mod Cam Ponents timing gears, at least I'll know then I will be able to get them where they should be without having to grind keyways....

I still need to know the procedure and tools required though, so I'm still looking for some help here!

racebronco2

Established Member

The degree wheel doens't go on the front of the cam. The dial indicator goes on the valve retainer next to the rocker arm.

o ok. well if u pull out #1 spark plug and turn over the engine you can feel the valves in the cylinder and the air being pushed out on the compression stroke. #1 should be on compression and #6 cylinder will be in overlap if the cam is in straight up (0 advance/retard)

That is not very acurate information. I have degreed the 98 cobra cams in my 04 cobra.
You need to read sean hylands book first. It will take to long to post it here. You can also go to modularfords.com for many pages on the subject.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
You need to read sean hylands book first. It will take to long to post it here. You can also go to modularfords.com for many pages on the subject.

Well like I said I have the DVD home waiting for me so I know that will help me with the procedure. I also said in my original post that I've looked through modularfords and I was unable to find a detailed procedure or tools list. I would still really like to read something detailed on here so I can get my head around it and so I can buy all the tools I need now.

I need to get the tools now because I will only be home for a month and that's all the time I have to do the build.

Stupercharged

Established Member
if the degree wheel doesnt go on the front then where does it go? and ive never degreed a ohc motor just a chevy 350 pushrod so im sure some things may be different but i dont think its apples and oranges?

racebronco2

Established Member
I found all the tools needed at modularfords.com and corral.net. You will need a degree wheel, a pointer (a piece of thick wire or a mount with a pointer)mounted on the block, tdc tools or a method of finding tdc. I found both of these at summit racing.
a degree wheel and a dial indicator is what you'll need. throw the degree wheel on the front of the cam The degree wheel mounts to the crank not the cam so i think it's just a mistake in typing:uh oh:.

The one thing i did not find was which side of the cam/cam sprocket to file down to get the correct readings. I found that my stock exhaust cams were about 2 degree off and the intakes were about 6 degrees. If you change the exhaust cam timing retarded it changes the intakes to advanced and vice versa.

racebronco2

Established Member
I used an old lifter with the guts remove and put a few washers inside to get the height where it's at. I drilled an old rocker arm and installed a screw cut down and a nut. It really easy to install the rocker with the adjuster on it. To adjust all i need to do is use a small screwdriver and get all the play out before checking the cam. The rocker is really hard to drill, i used several bits to get thru.
valveworkporting012medi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread