Degreeing Cams for 5.4 4V With Tremi Heads

jtripp

Established Member
My plan was the 13/14 GT500 pump with Boundary gears. The later pump has a billet backing plate that doesn't distort.
what is the benefit of the boundary gears? I like the plate thing

I Don't wanna be cheap but wondering if I need the gears if this thing wont even see past 6250rpm. Are these the same as billet oil pump gears?

I'm sure I'm gonna need more oil flow that a stock 2V 5.4 pump can offer since the 4V heads have a lot more parts/passages that need oil

Quick Strike

Established Member
This is the higher volume Cobra pump with billet gears and a cast iron case. It uses a 15/16 pick up. The description says it fits all 4.6 and 5.4 four valve engines. There is an open box one on eBay for $295.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtripp

Established Member
so I can just bolt my 2 valve oil pump pickup to that pump then?

I heard something about oil pans being different but I will be using the 2V oil pan unless that's not the way to go.

So if I use the 2V pan and Pickup obviously i'm good but will it bolt up?

jtripp

Established Member
Also could I get away with a melling M176HV without the billet gears since i'm not going high revs/supercharged or do i need that?

That would save me 300 bucks

Thanks!

Quick Strike

Established Member
You could do that or the Melling M227 without the billet gears if you want to use the larger 15/16" pick up instead of the 13/16" pick up.

jtripp

Established Member
So don't use the M176HV then? I really don't get why there are so many differences here. I bought one already but can return it

Quick Strike

Established Member
Your pump will be fine. The other offers the use of a larger pick up tube that is capable of moving more oil with less restriction. I don't expect you will be at sustained high rpm. So, cavitation should not be an issue for your pump. It would be extra protection you won't need.

jtripp

Established Member
Your pump will be fine. The other offers the use of a larger pick up tube that is capable of moving more oil with less restriction. I don't expect you will be at sustained high rpm. So, cavitation should not be an issue for your pump. It would be extra protection you won't need.
Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread