Degreeing Cams for 5.4 4V With Tremi Heads

jtripp

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have found a lot of info on degreeing the cams for 4.6L engines like in the cobra but the 5.4 being larger I was wondering what I should degree the cams in at?

96-98 intake cams
Avaitor Exhaust cams
Coyote Manifold
I want peak torque around 2500rpms for a truck. Its going into a 1999 f150 and I tow with it along with the occasional merging lane drag race

Basically I want a lightning without a supercharger and with 4x4 that will pull hard down low for the street.

Thanks!

Josh

jtripp

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have found a lot of info on degreeing the cams for 4.6L engines like in the cobra but the 5.4 being larger I was wondering what I should degree the cams in at?

96-98 intake cams
Avaitor Exhaust cams
Coyote Manifold
I want peak torque around 2500rpms for a truck. Its going into a 1999 f150 and I tow with it along with the occasional merging lane drag race

Basically I want a lightning without a supercharger and with 4x4 that will pull hard down low for the street.

Thanks!

Josh
one more thing the bottom end is built and should be ~10:1 on the compression ratio

Dave.O

Established Member
I’m assuming you used adapter plates for mounting the intake
Please post dyno results, I’m very curious

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jtripp

Established Member
yes that is correct on the adapters. I haven't installed them but I will soon. Just waiting on some rod bearings.

I can also post pictures as I go, I want to give back to the forum after reaping the benefits for the last 8 years!

As for the dyno Idk yet but I am def curious. not sure how the dyno works for a truck versus a mustang.

jtripp

Established Member
Basically Idk if there are more parasitic losses with the 9.5" rear end and maybe somebody knows but IDK if you can put 35's on the dynamometer!

03' White Snake

Established Member
Basically Idk if there are more parasitic losses with the 9.5" rear end and maybe somebody knows but IDK if you can put 35's on the dynamometer!
My bro’s 14 F150 with a 6.2L on 35’s been on the dyno. Probably robbing power but it can be done.

I think the cams can be set like any other set. You set the intake cam and the exhaust is calculated value. Use cylinder 1 and 6 for all the measurements.

It’s been a few yrs since I’ve done it, but Bullet Racing Cams explained it to me. For example, Your cam card gives you the intake centerline.... 110 or something. The separation 114 ect. Subtract the two, 114-110=4. Add 4 to separation. 114+4= 118. That is your exhaust centerline.

jtripp

Established Member
Well its good to know someone has done it. I'm with you though IDK if the results could be equated to what the same motor would make in a mustang. Still would love to do it just for my own curiosity. Its all just money!

Quick Strike

Established Member
I would guess you will be around 104* intake and 114* exhaust on a 109* lobe separation (LS). Most Mod Motor stock NA cams were on a 109* LS (03-04 Mach One an exception) and the power adders at 114*. The tighter 109* LS provides more peak power but a shorter power band. Advancing the intake 5* to 104* shifts the power band lower somewhere between 300-500 RPMs. That is where I would start if wanting more peak torque at a lower RPM. I would also want to hear from people that have actually done similar. I am guessing from what I know about cam dynamics.

jtripp

Established Member
NASVT Just got back to me and said to run them 112/110

As far as lobe centerlines / LSA's Doesn't having 4 cams allow you to adjust your LCA/LSA? I could be completely wrong

Quick Strike

Established Member
Yes you can set the LS and intake and exhaust centerlines. Stock gears have a keyway placement for the engine to have the stock centerline and lobe separation when installed normally. This means you may need to file the stock gears or get a set of adjustable gears to set the cams where you want. It looks like he likes a 111* LS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtripp

Established Member
Here's some pictures if anyone wants to see I can keep posting as I build if ppl wanna see

Attachments

• PXL_20211021_073444689.jpg
    PXL_20211021_073444689.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 47

jtripp

Established Member
Not sure If I should start a new thread for the rest of the build or keep this goin, what do you guys think its posted in the engine/tuning section for Cobras RN

jtripp

Established Member
Yes you can set the LS and intake and exhaust centerlines. Stock gears have a keyway placement for the engine to have the stock centerline and lobe separation when installed normally. This means you may need to file the stock gears or get a set of adjustable gears to set the cams where you want. It looks like he likes a 111* LS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do you file the cam or the gear? if you do the gear I'm assuming you need to use a half moon style file to get the outer surfaces of the gear? The gears I had last time had a key that was a separate part

jtripp

Established Member
This is what I'm talking about Maybe I need a smaller file? This file I don't think I'll get any change because the top part of the Tang won't get any filing is it okay to file the cams?

Attachments

• PXL_20211022_081313247~2.jpg
    PXL_20211022_081313247~2.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 52

Quick Strike

Established Member
Don't file the cams! I used a smaller jewelers file on my gears. I worked on the smaller gears directly attached to the cams: not the larger one attached to the crankshaft chain. I had to take it back apart multiple times to file the intake gear once the exhaust gear was done. So, each time the exhaust centerline had to be re-checked before seeing what the intake filing had done to the centerline. It took a while. Then you had to go to the other side!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My plan was the 13/14 GT500 pump with Boundary gears. The later pump has a billet backing plate that doesn't distort.

Users who are viewing this thread