Decent night @ the track

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Those of you that follow us Cali folks exploits at LACR know what a challenge that track is. Especially on “slip-n-slide” night as Tetge so fondly puts it. On a whim I figured I try out my rebuilt tranny and new clutch. Wed night usually has a light crowd so I pretty much ran when I wanted to. To my surprise my tranny was holding me back more than I thought during my previous trip to the track. I first ran a 12.67, good but I know there’s more. Next a 12.600 better but there’s still more left in her. I had descent 60fts 1.8-1.9 but I figured I play it safe and let the car chill for a while. Tried it again 45 min later And viola new LACR personal best E/T @ mph for me: (See attached)

After these 4 consecutive runs I pulled a 12.63 with a 2.1 60ft so a 12.4 was possible IMO given the previous runs. The winds picked up though just before my last run and the blowing dirt on the track convinced me I was wasting my time with that pass So home I went. Over all, not bad I’d like to see better but I need to head to lower altitude. For you sea level guys That 12.532 = 12.129 & the 111.212 = 114.959 And if I can get some decent track prep look out Dean, and Tetge you’re clear for takeoff during my burnout :lol: :burnout:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Decent night @ the track

Originally posted by Tetge
Naw, I will just leave first and beat you with my F1's. We are running almost identical trap speeds now so it could be an interesting race :lol:
Congrats on the slip and slide Wednesday times

Thanks :beer: I had some motivation though. The wife actually encouraged me to go get some better time slips after your post about your new personal best. So I hope you understand the ribbing is in good fun. OBTW I was practicing my R/T as well, trust me I'm improving although it doesn't look that good on paper. My best "race" came down to R/T. You know LACR doesn't usually mix imports and domestics, but out of the blue they let me line up aganst a 300Z (last of the old body style before Nissan brought it back). During my burnout I looked right and noticed the Z was doing one as well. I thought rear wheel drive :shrug: I need to be more informed about my opponants. Tree ran and off I went not paying attention to the other guy. I thought I had an easy win but guess who was next to me @ the finish line ... Mr Z. He ran a losing 12.4 to my 12.5, R/T giving me the win. I checked the car out afterward... Twin Turbo (BIG!!!) He said he was running 25lbs boost something about cartech heads :shrug: exhaust etc. Pretty car and way faster than I expected , he gave the Cobra props though and definitly was not your typical rice head. And it appears the word is out on the Cobra kind of :lol: Half the people I talked to thought the Cobras were 10 sec cars out of the box :rolleyes: so I spent more time clearing up myths than anything else. And I must say I'm starting to really like beating the GT's and slowmaros by 2+ sec :lol:

Fiveohdean

Established Member
1.8's are excellent for Wed/Fri night at LACR. Don't think I've done better than 2.0 at night. Once the car was movin were you able to put the throttle to the floor in first? That's always been a problem for me there at night. I'm getting bored with 12.0 - 12.2's at LACR, so I ordered up another 2/10's in the mail. We'll see you in the 11's next week.

:)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Fiveohdean
Once the car was movin were you able to put the throttle to the floor in first? That's always been a problem for me there at night.

No, I had to slip the clutch to keep the spin down and I short shifted into 2nd @ approx 5K rpm. 2nd was biting real good although the rear end would wobble with each shift. So... when are you going to give me that solid axle you're not using? :lol: OBTW I'll tell you my secret for low 60 fts if you tell me how to get a 12.0 @ LACR :-D

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
Why are the MPH's so low for your mods?

1. Having to slip the clutch to prevent wheel spin = slower initial acceleration
2. 315 D/R's = increased rolling mass
3. 2770ft track elevation = lower actual hp vs sealevel potential output

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Fiveohdean
Don't go To LACR at night. Ok now what's your secret?

Man I should have known it was something as simple as that :lol:

Seriously though I do a slow 10 count during my burnout holding 4-5K rpm then release the brake but staying in the throttle till it bites. Then I do a short clean/practice launch. On the launch I slip the clutch and only use 3/4 throttle in 1st, never launching over 3K rpm. The 315's are the real key though, 22lbs is the lowest psi I'll take them as they'll expand up to 24 lbs when hot. Also once they're sticky don't let them cool down, max 15 min inbewtween runs. With your elec water pump heatsoak won't be an issue. The rest is up to track prep. ;-)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Now we know your secret, but, I can't copy you since I will not slip my clutch to launch. Have you tried dropping the clutch at a lower RPM and modulating the throttle to control spin in first?

Inconsistant track conditions constantly leave me guessing @ launch rpms. As such if I back pedal on the throttle b/c of spin then I lose 2-3 tenths from experience with my car (not saying you'd see the same). It's just easier to slip the clutch since you can keep the rpms up on the launch and maintain boost. I agree my clutch would last longer but I really want a C4 anyway. It may be the wussy way to go but atleast I'd be consistant...... another nickel in the fund :lol:

Lagtime

Established Member

I may have to go to Carlsbad soon just to run at 200' elevation. It would be nice to meet up with some people that I know so that we could get each other's backs if something broke, but, I need a fix of sea level performance.

I'd recommend Fontana over C-bad unless you're running an ET street or better. Whatever power you gain from lower elevation will be wasted in wheelspin. That track probably won't hook a drag radial on a stick shift car.

Been there, done that. :)

Lagtime

Established Member
I have never been to Fontana. When do they run and where can I get information about the track, such as hours, directions, etc. If it is really crowded, it makes it hard to get a feel for the track and every track is different and has its own way of tech/staging etc. Any info on the Fontana scene would be appreciated.

Fontana is at the California Speedway, you can surf around their site at http://www.californiaspeedway.com

It is, IMO, a good place to race, although it can be crowded. They do a better job of prepping the track than LACR or C-bad, it's at ~1200 feet above sea level, so it's not going to kil your MPH like LACR will.

They'll be open the 22-23rd of March, gates open at 7am, racing starts at 9am. You'll get 4 passes worst case, more if it isn't too crowded.

Try it. My guess is you'll ET better there than at C-bad, and you'll only lose ~2mph at most compared to C-bad.

Last edited:

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Tetge, Fiveohdean, Socalblk03, and anyone else.......

Fontana, Mar 22 & 23. I've herad the sunday's are less crowded and you MAY get 6-10runs for the day. I know a couple of us were there before xmas and got 2 runs in 4 hours but on the sunday, some other guy posted hed had 10 runs and went to lunch in between.
I say lets do Fontana, Sunday Mar 23.
Personally I had my best ET and MPH at Fontana.

And you know I cant drive for s#$% !!!

Fiveohdean

Established Member
How many times have you sent your chip back?

This is my first burn for chip position #2. Taking advantage of 4 new mods in progress. There's cutting, drilling, wiring, plumbing, and welding involved but no NOS or slicks. That would be too easy. Goin to run 11's at LACR in the same trim I drive my kids to school in everyday. That's the point of a family car like this one after all. :)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Snakin 69
Maybe during the Dyno Day on 3/22 we talk a group into rolling over to Fontana on Sunday.
With relative HP and torque fresh for everyone, there could be some fun seeing the times posted and proving just how bad some of us drive :lol:
JW

Originally posted by Snakin 69
Tetge, Fiveohdean, Socalblk03, and anyone else.......

Fontana, Mar 22 & 23. I've herad the sunday's are less crowded and you MAY get 6-10runs for the day. I know a couple of us were there before xmas and got 2 runs in 4 hours but on the sunday, some other guy posted hed had 10 runs and went to lunch in between.
I say lets do Fontana, Sunday Mar 23.
Personally I had my best ET and MPH at Fontana.

And you know I cant drive for s#$% !!!

Users who are viewing this thread