Dealing with peeling decklid panel.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Hey y’all
just wondering if anyone’s done anything like wrap or paint the rear deck-lid since they all seem to fade and peel on every mustang I’ve seen (mine included).

Mines pretty bad so I’m thinking of actually compounding the panel and trying to get rid of the rest of the clear coat and maybe come out with just the black paint left then wax it?

Wrapping is an option too I just don’t know how and cost vs a new panel at 200~

Snoopy49

Established Member
If the decklid is peeling, the top and hood can't be to far behind. It may be time to contact a good painter.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
If the decklid is peeling, the top and hood can't be to far behind. It may be time to contact a good painter.

My hoods bubbled a bit on that edge like Evreyone else’s but so far nowhere else is having problems, figured it’s not worth painting (correctly) since I could likely just replace the part and clear bra it or some to that effect. I touch up painted the hood areas and it’s actually been doing well but I know I’m getting it stripped and painted eventually

merkyworks

Established Member
Seems odd your already having clear coat issue. Has the car never had wax, ceramic coating or any type of protective/hydrophobic coating applied to it?

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Seems odd your already having clear coat issue. Has the car never had wax, ceramic coating or any type of protective/hydrophobic coating applied to it?
It’s only the rear decklid panel- down here in SFL i have yet to see a similar year mustang without some sort of blemishes on the decklid even when waxed. I mean I also have 60,000 miles and daily drive so it does get more weather than most

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I typed out this big ol long reply about re-painting it at home cheap and easy...

Then I realize this is in the 13-14 GT500 section...

I would just remove the Trunk and strip it down as much as you can or are comfortable with.. take it down to as most reputable body shop you can and let them work their magic. If it's not too bad and if not too much UV damage to the base coat, they can probably save it without it being too labor intensive.

Users who are viewing this thread