dealership just took in a SVTF, good deal or no?

MachJoe

Established Member
The dealership I work at just took in a 2002 blue 3dr SVTF. Its a 2 owner and has 79k miles. The plastic shifter bezel is broke and there's a rattle from underneath the car, but other than that it drives well and in great shape. With my discount I can get it for $4,500 before TTL. Is this a good deal? How hard are these to work on? Are parts expensive? My current daily (98 4runner) has been taking a turn for the worse and is a bish to work on.

Blown5Ways

Established Member
I have worked on all the mk1 models and they are pretty easy. What are the options on it, ie headlamps, interior, wheels? Depending on which one, you might have a real good deal.

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
I've had my car almost 10 years and 150k Miles. It's not a real sports car as it's way way down on power. But for a DD it's a good size, reasonable to maintain, decent enough gas mile and great handling and brakes. If you want a fun DD, absolutely. But you won't be able to race about anything else on the road.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
The dealership I work at just took in a 2002 blue 3dr SVTF. Its a 2 owner and has 79k miles. The plastic shifter bezel is broke and there's a rattle from underneath the car, but other than that it drives well and in great shape. With my discount I can get it for $4,500 before TTL. Is this a good deal? How hard are these to work on? Are parts expensive? My current daily (98 4runner) has been taking a turn for the worse and is a bish to work on.

They're easy enough to work on but if it's been neglected it can be a money pit to get right again. Unless you can verify that the timing belt setup has been done that will need to be done right away.

If it's well maintained or once it's fixed up it can be a great little car.

I've had my car almost 10 years and 150k Miles. It's not a real sports car as it's way way down on power. But for a DD it's a good size, reasonable to maintain, decent enough gas mile and great handling and brakes. If you want a fun DD, absolutely. But you won't be able to race about anything else on the road.

Makes me wonder if yours is functioning properly, I agree they aren't rockets in a straight line but when everything is working right and with very minor mods an SVT can and will embarrass much newer, more expensive cars on a windy road, auto-x or road course.

I've had other SVT owners drive my car and they've always been surprised how responsive it is and how much low end it has compared to theirs and the only real mods are a ported throttle body, tune and an off road pipe.

-Steve

flS/R

Established Member
$4500 may be a little high but for this price maybe you can talk them into doing the timing belt on it before delivery. Unfortunately for the svtf it is one of the only zetec engines from that generation which has an interference engine so you don't want to take chances with it breaking.

these are nice little cars and will make a good dd for sure

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Just keep in mind that you may have to do a fair bit of work to get it right, you won't know how it's been maintained until you buy it.

The SVT is best owned by someone that can either do most repairs themselves or someone that can afford to pay someone else, it's not a "hands off" kind of car but if you keep it right it can be ultra reliable and a lot of fun to drive.

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Makes me wonder if yours is functioning properly, I agree they aren't rockets in a straight line but when everything is working right and with very minor mods an SVT can and will embarrass much newer, more expensive cars on a windy road, auto-x or road course.

I've had other SVT owners drive my car and they've always been surprised how responsive it is and how much low end it has compared to theirs and the only real mods are a ported throttle body, tune and an off road pipe.

-Steve
Funny, at one point I had the only stock SVTF w/ a 14 second timeshop. If you want to tell me that a mid-15 second car is 'fast' I'm not listening to you. Great car, but 145hp to the wheels doesn't cut it.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Funny, at one point I had the only stock SVTF w/ a 14 second timeshop. If you want to tell me that a mid-15 second car is 'fast' I'm not listening to you. Great car, but 145hp to the wheels doesn't cut it.

nothing a turbo cant cure.

I was putting down 269 to the wheels on only 7 lbs of boost :rockon:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor

I never said it was fast, I just disagree with your assesment of the car.

The last place an SVT Focus belongs is a dragstrip, it was designed and engineered to be a twisty back road, road course, auto-x car and at all three of those things it excells.

To this day a properly running, well kept SVTF can embarrass much newer and more expensive machinery.

Sure there's plenty or superior stuff out there now but bang for your buck the SVTF is still a great car.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread