Dealer says rear wheel bearings need replacement (2014 Mustang)

matt5058

Established Member
I noticed a strange sound while driving a few days ago. It was hard to pinpoint while driving with the window down but basically sounded like a wub wub wub thrumming sound (I saw someone else describe it this way in another forum and it made sense). Basically it sounds like the one of the tires is low on air or there's something rubbing while driving, almost like a low humming sound.

It stops when the vehicle isn't moving, continues when vehicle is in neutral. It sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side wheel but I took it into the dealer today and after a couple hours of diagnostics, they said the rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. Based on everything else I've read from some googling, this makes sense.

They quoted me 6 hours of labor to do the bearings though, which comes out to about 800 bucks (and the parts are around 170), for a total of almost a grand. I don't know exactly what is involved in replacing the wheel bearings but just wanted to check if this seems high to anyone else. If it sounds normal, I'll pay and get it done but if it seems it should be cheaper, I will happily check with other shops.

Also should mention they said that my rear rotors should be replaced soon so if I did that at the same time, they wouldn't charge me extra labor.

Car is a 2014 Mustang GT, has a little over 33k miles on it. I bought the car pretty much brand new, I think the odometer had like 37 miles on it when I bought it in 2014. Haven't had any major issues previously, don't drive it particularly hard. I've done autocross in it maybe a dozen times and haven't been to the strip yet.

Thanks in advance for input on similar experiences.

Edit: someone just pointed out to me that this should be covered by the powertrain warranty (5 years, 60k miles) and I looked up the Ford 2014 model year warranty guide. It says that bearings, front and rear) are covered, if I'm reading it correctly.

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
Definitely push for a warranty replacement. Bearings don't usually fail with 30k miles/4 years of use. Especially both of them. There are exceptions though, my dad's 2016 civic had one go bad at 15k. Push for the warranty for sure though, maybe even get a second opinion from another dealer.

matt5058

Established Member
Definitely push for a warranty replacement. Bearings don't usually fail with 30k miles/4 years of use. Especially both of them. There are exceptions though, my dad's 2016 civic had one go bad at 15k. Push for the warranty for sure though, maybe even get a second opinion from another dealer.

I called dealer back and asked them to confirm and the guy I spoke with (different person than this morning) said that indeed the bearings are covered by power train warranty. What a relief. Thanks.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Meh, is a an easy DIY project that would only cost you $100.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

basspro302

Established Member
That not a normal part to need replacement at such a low age/milage. I would probably get a second opinion.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Speaking of wheel bearings. I had to replace my front hubs on my gt500 at 39k miles. Road course and auto cross will put some good stress on wheel bearings

Users who are viewing this thread