Dead Spot/Steering wheel play...

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
Hey guys, been reading the forums for a while, finally decided to post. I have an '04 Cobra. Bought about 4-5 months ago. Has 65k miles and Some douche put 20"s on it, and funked up a lot of suspension parts I think. There about 1.5"-2" of play in the steering wheel. Sucks on the street, but sucks even more on the highway. Wanders all over the place. Recently had to replace the driver side inner tie rod, when I went to get an alignment, mechanic said it had to be replaced before they could do an alignment. So, after that there's still the play in the steering wheel and the right side feels like the tie rod or something isn't right. Doesn't feel secure on that side... best word I could use to describe is "floppy" going over bumps/turning. Also makes a creaking sound if I'm sitting and turn the wheels to the left/right. I removed the 20's and put 18x9 FR500's on all 4. Helped a lot, but still have the dead spot in the steering. Don't want to spend a shit ton of money diagnosing this problem, just wondering what you guys think it might be? I am leaning towards a bad/bent tie rod on the passenger side... not sure though :??:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Do you still have the Twinkies on this thing? If so, get some 17's or 18's.

The first three things I think of from your description are steering shaft/rag joint, steering rack bushings, and hub bearings. SN-95 Mustang steering feel is inherently numb and sloppy. The steering rack isn't a bad piece at all, but the two aforementioned bushings wear out and can create this slop you are feeling.

There was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the steering rack bushing creak you described. If brought in, Ford replaced the units that came from the factory with a harder polyurethane bushing. Many take this route or choose an aftermarket supplier for the poly bushings with satisfying results.[edit] TSB # 05-14-3 replaced the inner sleeve, not the bushings themselves. However, replacing the sleeve and upgrade the bushing material should do the trick. Check 006's thread here[/edit] However, I prefer the use of aluminum steering rack bushings. I installed and experienced a vast improvement in steering feel on a couple of Cobras ('97 and '04). Both installs used Maximum Motorsports units and cost around $40. Best $40 you'll spend on this car.

As far as the steering shaft, you'll have to inspect two things. The rag joint is a rubber bushing that breaks the plane between the upper and lower steering shaft. If damaged, it can create slop. There's also a sleeve that seats and centers the steering rack in the firewall. Those have been known to slide out, causing a loose steering feel. You can inspect that from the interior of the car, near the pedals.

The hubs are also known to grenade on SN-95 Mustangs. To check those, torque the front hubs to their 258 lb-ft torque spec. Then, replace the wheel/tire and torque the lugs. Grab the wheel/tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and rock the wheel back and forth to check for play. Repeat for 3 and 9. If it’s sloppy, you need a need hub bearing. Also, check for a clean, smooth, silent rotation of the wheel. I usually remove the brake caliper when I do this so the friction of the brakes doesn't compromise the test.

Other than that, check for properly torqued suspension components, correct alignment, full power steering reservoir (Dexron III/Mercon only), and greased tie rod ends.

Last edited:

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
I removed the 20's and put 18x9 on all 4. I will check the parts you suggested, but I wouldn't call it so much a slop in the steering wheel as much as a dead spot. 1.5-2" of complete play where the wheels do not turn at all. Also, it feels like all 4 wheels are not level, like sometimes taking right turns, the passenger right tire will usually spin until I get it straightened out. Not sure if it's so much the roads around here, but it also has a very rough ride, (I've had several lowered cars '97 GT and '00 Trans Am) like bumps on the highway feel like they're going to bounce me into the other lane. It just doesn't feel solid and stable like a Cobra should, I guess. Is understeer just common on the 03/04 Cobra's or new edge stangs in general?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Also check the steering coupler shaft from the column to the steering gear.
It's the collapsible shaft.
Ford used some type of plastic in between the "splines"
to take up slack where it slides in and out.
NOT THE RAG JOINT ITSELF.
Sometimes with excessive heat can melt the plastic and give you
a dead on-center feel.
Most prevalent if the car has LT's.

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
Alright... I know this is an old post, but I finally replaced the rack bushings with MM aluminum bushings, when I installed the MM F/W adjuster and clutch quadrant. The steering feels much more responsive, but I still have the play in the wheel. When inspecting the steering shaft, I see an orange rubber .... bushing thing. Like a bushing but goes around the steering shaft. It's broken in half and slides up and down the shaft. Not sure what that is for or if it could be the culprit... What do you guys think? I can get pics if needed. Thanks.

bwahl602

Established Member
aluminum rack bushings, new TRE's, check the steering shaft and balljoints for play

20inch wheels will tear through ball joints and TREs FAAASSSSTTTT

last thing is the rack itself

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
aluminum rack bushings, new TRE's, check the steering shaft and balljoints for play

20inch wheels will tear through ball joints and TREs FAAASSSSTTTT

last thing is the rack itself

20's are no longer on the car. Inner tie rod ends were replaced with new rack. I checked for play, but didn't feel any... And I installed alulminum rack bushings last weekend. I'm leaning towards the steering shaft that desert_gypsy pointed out... SUCK! Maybe after I replace everything in the steering assembly, the play will go away.... :-D

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
You sure the car was never whacked hard?

That's the only way to whack it, right? :-D

If you're referring to being wrecked or smashed up, I do not know. I just know I can see an orange bushing thing on the steering shaft looking from under the hood by the brake reservoir. It's broke in half. But not sure what the hell it is or where on the shaft it's supposed to go...

Users who are viewing this thread