Dead aeromotive pump

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Now this information is not directly from Aeromotive but a reliable source. From what we've seen E85 tends to wear off the black coating on the pump causing issues with the internal brushes. It seems for the people who have issues with these pumps, all run E85. I can put a call into Aeromotive monday morning and see if they can shed a little more light on the subject and I can report back.

Matt
Thanks Matt.

Please keep us informed of your findings.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
I can tell you what Aeromotive is gonna say about the 340s. I have used quite a few of their EFI products and electronics and I also have a pretty good rapport with Brett in the Tech/Sales dept.

For a comparison, I ran 3 x Wally GSS pumps for ~2500miles on E85 and the same filter element in a Fore F10 Filter. I had all three pumps running at the same time, all the time. There was nothing wrong with them, I just wanted to try the Aeromotive 340s and see what they were about......been downhill since then.

When I swapped out to the 340s, I had the FAST XFI trigger one pump on start-up and the other two pumps were triggered off a MAP signal when it sees 9psi.

The first time a pump went out, they wanted to say that it was a clogged/not free flowing filter and that was increasing the line press before the filter and that ran the brushes out of the pumps. I actually dropped my tank and pulled the fuel system out and sent it to Aeromotive for flow testing and fro them to check press drops, etc. So I sent them my Fore Precision Triple Hat Return Style (this was the one with the 3 x outlet ports and 1 x return port, the Fore Triple Y-Block, F10 10 micron filter and all the fuel lines.

Brett and I kept in contact through the whole evaluation and the verdict was that the fuel system flow was excellent. No pressure drops, the flow out of each pump was just about even out of the hat and out of the Y-Block. They did say that the F10 filter element was not flowing optimally and that the it wouldnt help to get a bigger housing. I also picked up one of their 7" filter housings.

They sent me 2 x brand new pumps (the one that burned out and one of the other ones because it was showing signs of brush wear) and they also recommended that I get an inline fuel press gauge before the filter and watch it after a few hundred miles and see if there is a press increase and that would be a good indicator that the filter element was getting clogged slowly.

Well, the next pump went out after about the same number of miles (600ish) and the pressure before the filter was ~48psi. NOTE - My base FP was set to 45psi.

I dont know whats up with these pumps, but I cant figure it out and Aeromotive cant either. I've checked the filter elements and the look fine, flow fine. I've dropped the tank and checked inside and there is no debris, varnish buildup, etc. Ever since I made the switch to Ethanol, I've run Sta-Bil E85 Treatment and I've also used the Lucas E85 Treatment, both with great success.

My conclusion is that it has something to do with the parts inside the pump. I dont think I've ever heard of a Wally going out in any fuel whatsoever. All these new off brand pumps seem to be going out left and right.

Thoughts anyone?

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
Also to reference the black coating issue, when I pulled the pumps out, the black coating looked unaffected, so I dont think that it has anything to do with the issue.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I can tell you what Aeromotive is gonna say about the 340s. I have used quite a few of their EFI products and electronics and I also have a pretty good rapport with Brett in the Tech/Sales dept.

For a comparison, I ran 3 x Wally GSS pumps for ~2500miles on E85 and the same filter element in a Fore F10 Filter. I had all three pumps running at the same time, all the time. There was nothing wrong with them, I just wanted to try the Aeromotive 340s and see what they were about......been downhill since then.

When I swapped out to the 340s, I had the FAST XFI trigger one pump on start-up and the other two pumps were triggered off a MAP signal when it sees 9psi.

The first time a pump went out, they wanted to say that it was a clogged/not free flowing filter and that was increasing the line press before the filter and that ran the brushes out of the pumps. I actually dropped my tank and pulled the fuel system out and sent it to Aeromotive for flow testing and fro them to check press drops, etc. So I sent them my Fore Precision Triple Hat Return Style (this was the one with the 3 x outlet ports and 1 x return port, the Fore Triple Y-Block, F10 10 micron filter and all the fuel lines.

Brett and I kept in contact through the whole evaluation and the verdict was that the fuel system flow was excellent. No pressure drops, the flow out of each pump was just about even out of the hat and out of the Y-Block. They did say that the F10 filter element was not flowing optimally and that the it wouldnt help to get a bigger housing. I also picked up one of their 7" filter housings.

They sent me 2 x brand new pumps (the one that burned out and one of the other ones because it was showing signs of brush wear) and they also recommended that I get an inline fuel press gauge before the filter and watch it after a few hundred miles and see if there is a press increase and that would be a good indicator that the filter element was getting clogged slowly.

Well, the next pump went out after about the same number of miles (600ish) and the pressure before the filter was ~48psi. NOTE - My base FP was set to 45psi.

I dont know whats up with these pumps, but I cant figure it out and Aeromotive cant either. I've checked the filter elements and the look fine, flow fine. I've dropped the tank and checked inside and there is no debris, varnish buildup, etc. Ever since I made the switch to Ethanol, I've run Sta-Bil E85 Treatment and I've also used the Lucas E85 Treatment, both with great success.

My conclusion is that it has something to do with the parts inside the pump. I dont think I've ever heard of a Wally going out in any fuel whatsoever. All these new off brand pumps seem to be going out left and right.

Thoughts anyone?

Also to reference the black coating issue, when I pulled the pumps out, the black coating looked unaffected, so I dont think that it has anything to do with the issue.

thanks for the info

triple-s

Established Member
HY

Thoughts anyone?

that was exactly the same reason they told me! Seems to me that they have a known problem but will blame everything else before they say there pumps just suck!

triple-s

Established Member
I also have a triple pump hat that I bought just in case I needed more fuel later on down the road if this keeps happening I'm just going to run three walbro pumps! My buddy has that set up and has four thousand mile's with no problems so far!

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
Subscribing, as i have just installed 3 - 340's and am about to pour e85 back in the tank.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
My aeromotive stealth 340lphs just took a dump today yoo. This was on my e55 running e85, this was my 4th pump in under a year.

Dragu1a

Established Member
I only have a couple hundred miles since my install. DivX hat, 2 stealth 340's, return style and e85. Definitely interested to hear more on this.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
That's probably the case now considering the bulk of this thread took place in early 2012. Sounds like the same situation that happened with the Walbro 405 pumps.

The 405s took place after the 340s were known to not last well in E-85. I considered the stealth 340s awhile back, but read this and many other threads stating that they weren't E-85 friendly about a year ago, so you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread