DDM Tuning HIDs...How-to

CobraMac

Established Member
So I have seen a bunch of questions on multiple threads about these lights....there was an awesome thread by "red351wcobra" that gave me the idea to do this step by step. I have the 5000k 35watt Hi/Lo DDM tuning HIDs as well. They are about 20 miles from my house so it was easy for me to go pick some up.

Here's what everything looks like when it's sent to you
DSCN0887.jpg

Everything out of their packages. The Hi/Lo wiring kit, the two slim ballasts, and the two HID lights.
DSCN0890.jpg

Take the plastic protective cap off
DSCN0895.jpg

Unscrew the black front cap and this is how it will look...take that clear plastic piece off the right side
DSCN0896.jpg

Put the piece from the headlights on the back side of the light and then screw the black front cap back on
DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

Put the light in the housing and screw it to hold it in....this is what it will look like
DSCN0893.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

Here is the harness....on the left is the driver side ballast clip, next to that is the wires that connect to the blue clip (which snaps into the stock connector on the driver's side), next is the passenger side ballast clip, next to that is the ground, and lastly on the far right is the power wire/fuse
DSCN0897.jpg

With the blue connecting cap...this is how the wires should be hooked up if you get the hi/lo lights
DSCN0934.jpg

I know most of you have the battery there....and I don't so I attached the power wire to the front side of the distribution area of my fuse box
DSCN0906.jpg

I attached the ground to the other grounding cables on the driver's side near the headlight
DSCN0916.jpg

Then I ran the passenger side ballast wire up and under near the radiator...that way it went directly over to the passenger side as well as stayed hidden
DSCN0907.jpg

After this I mounted the hi/lo distributor...it made things easier mounting everything (making sure all the connectors would reach) and then doing the other wiring afterwards. I used 3M double sided tape and mounted it near where the headlight is
DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

Next I mounted the two ballasts....the drivers side on the inner fender
DSCN0920.jpg

And the passenger side
DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg

Now the mess after all the wires are connected and seperate...before cleaning things up
DSCN0923.jpg

A look from the back once it's all cleaned up
DSCN0924.jpg

A look from the front with it all cleaned up (looks like there is nothing changed from before starting)
DSCN0926.jpg

The lights on and working
DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

Hope this helps you guys who want to do this!

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
I've had a set of headlight/fogs (just lows) from them for about a year and have tried to install them twice with no luck. I've tried everything and finally gave up and they are collecting dust in the shop. I would install the headlights, passenger side first and test it and it would just flash not completely ignite. I figured this was a result of a bad ballast so I tried all four ballasts on the same bulb/side but it still did the same thing. So I continued and installed both headlights, reconnected the battery and turned them on, boom nothing not even my fogs would work. They worked fine with just one side hooked up? Do I need a relay? I'd like to install them over the winter.

Any thoughts?

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
pic of with just the fogs on, you can probably tell which one is mine lol.
IMG_0249.jpg

not dark in this pic but this is a front view
IMG_0205.jpg

BTW, these are 6k and i believe 35w!

Last edited:

04GTMustang

Established Member
pic of with just the fogs on, you can probably tell which one is mine lol.
IMG_0249.jpg

not dark in this pic but this is a front view
IMG_0205.jpg

BTW, these are 6k and i believe 35w!

What kid did you get for the fog lights? Is it just H10 35w? Like 35 bucks or something?

mrose75

Established Member
I started my install yesterday, but it fizzled and died because it's like 20-something degrees out and the garage isn't much warmer. Thanks for posting up though. I'll finish my headlights up over the weekend. I sent off my fogs because I accidentally ordered 3000K. So, I'm exchanging them for 5000K. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done.

CobraMac

Established Member
I've had a set of headlight/fogs (just lows) from them for about a year and have tried to install them twice with no luck. I've tried everything and finally gave up and they are collecting dust in the shop. I would install the headlights, passenger side first and test it and it would just flash not completely ignite. I figured this was a result of a bad ballast so I tried all four ballasts on the same bulb/side but it still did the same thing. So I continued and installed both headlights, reconnected the battery and turned them on, boom nothing not even my fogs would work. They worked fine with just one side hooked up? Do I need a relay? I'd like to install them over the winter.

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm not sure on that one...that sounds weirddd...that definitely sounds like a wiring issue though.

nice write up, i would of done this months ago but im to lazy haha...

Hahaha well here you go! Did it for ya :lol1:

Good work CobraMac!

this will help alot of folks out! :beer:

looks damn good!

Great thread thanks

Nice write up.

Looks good man

Thanks guys!! :rockon: :beer:

I started my install yesterday, but it fizzled and died because it's like 20-something degrees out and the garage isn't much warmer. Thanks for posting up though. I'll finish my headlights up over the weekend. I sent off my fogs because I accidentally ordered 3000K. So, I'm exchanging them for 5000K. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done.

You're very welcome :beer:

i cant decide between 5k and 6k !! :bash:

I went with 5k cuz it's a brighter/true light that cuts through fog and is better for night driving

red351wcobra

Established Member
CobraMac:Great write up, very clean install. I should have taken more photos during my install. And for everyone who can decide whether to get the 5K,or 6K bulbs. 5K hands down. I replaced the 35W ballast with the 55W, let me tell you it did make a big difference. As far as the 55w being to hot. I couldn't tell a difference between the to. Fog are 35w. This is a great mod, that looks great and is super functional..

CobraMac

Established Member
5K is better for sure. :beer:

Agreed! :rockon:

CobraMac:Great write up, very clean install. I should have taken more photos during my install. And for everyone who can decide whether to get the 5K,or 6K bulbs. 5K hands down. I replaced the 35W ballast with the 55W, let me tell you it did make a big difference. As far as the 55w being to hot. I couldn't tell a difference between the to. Fog are 35w. This is a great mod, that looks great and is super functional..

Thank you for giving me the idea! It was all you :beer: And maybe I'll check out the 55W eventually...I'll see how hot these get for now :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread