DCT

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Was reading the intarweb and it seems like on the bmw there's this phenomenon where your brain tells your hand to downshift and nearly the same time the 'puter does the same thing.. and you end up going from say 4th to 2nd..

I wonder if that's auto mode or manual or wtf??!! Anyone know anything about that? Doesnt seem too common but a few mentioned it.

Also, got a call from my guy. Rep called him and they got green light for 3 cars and paid the shelby program fee. Will be putting the deposit down tomorrow. Hope order guides are out within 3-4 weeks?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's my understanding that you can't pay the "program fee" yet because the program has yet to be announced and as such, doesn't exist.

Nick? @13COBRA

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick already mentioned to me that an announcement was coming at the end of April. I'm leaning towards "or will be any day..".

redfirecobra2003

Established Member
The shift strategies are usually in either mode not both , can speak for most dct transmissions . I have a good bit of experience on them. I just hope that tremec sells parts for these unlike the getrag and zf pdk they are very difficult to fix without parts.

LostM

Established Member
its super rare to skip a gear, but your scenario is unlikely. Im pretty sure i read the same forum questions you did years ago, and let me start by reminding that most of those people, are young kids with a lease paid for by parents, and dont know what they are doing, or what they are trying to explain, BUT: lets call Automatic mode Drive mode, or D, and Manual mode M.

in D, it will up and downshift itself at its determined positions based on all the criteria, rpm, throttle gear, mph etc. It wont skip a gear unless it has a reason to, or if its about to downshift, does downshift ( but remember how fast this happens) and you for some reason decided to grab the paddle and downshift it yourself.. so , dd it really skip a gear? no. would it feel like it to one of the above type of people i mentioned, absolutley.

M mode, it wont shift up until you tell it too, it will only shift down if you tell it, or the criteria tells it to, aka, no throttle, no rpm, mph dropping and its about to stall. now, if you let it get to that point, and its saving itself by downshifting, and you decide oh sht, i need to downshift, would you again, say it actually skipped a gear, or just felt like it?

now, lastly, i dont recall this for M mode, as i had zero reason to ever do it, so ill stick to D mode.
Say your cruising along at 50mph its in 6th, some demon ****boi pulls up next to you thinking hes about unleash hell, 3 honks and you decide to just mash the pedal, yeah, its gonna do what transmission do and downshift, 1-2 probably 3 gears before your laughing at the overpriced over promised and underdelivering demon in your rearview

Wilson & Co

Established Member
its super rare to skip a gear, but your scenario is unlikely. Im pretty sure i read the same forum questions you did years ago, and let me start by reminding that most of those people, are young kids with a lease paid for by parents, and dont know what they are doing, or what they are trying to explain, BUT: lets call Automatic mode Drive mode, or D, and Manual mode M.

in D, it will up and downshift itself at its determined positions based on all the criteria, rpm, throttle gear, mph etc. It wont skip a gear unless it has a reason to, or if its about to downshift, does downshift ( but remember how fast this happens) and you for some reason decided to grab the paddle and downshift it yourself.. so , dd it really skip a gear? no. would it feel like it to one of the above type of people i mentioned, absolutley.

M mode, it wont shift up until you tell it too, it will only shift down if you tell it, or the criteria tells it to, aka, no throttle, no rpm, mph dropping and its about to stall. now, if you let it get to that point, and its saving itself by downshifting, and you decide oh sht, i need to downshift, would you again, say it actually skipped a gear, or just felt like it?

now, lastly, i dont recall this for M mode, as i had zero reason to ever do it, so ill stick to D mode.
Say your cruising along at 50mph its in 6th, some demon ****boi pulls up next to you thinking hes about unleash hell, 3 honks and you decide to just mash the pedal, yeah, its gonna do what transmission do and downshift, 1-2 probably 3 gears before your laughing at the overpriced over promised and underdelivering demon in your rearview

Ok, that's what I was hoping the tremec behavior would be like.

I have zero experience with dct of any type but its the biggest reason I'm interested in the car due to left knee that flares up in traffic with MT.

Watched some good videos on YTube too about dct's.. some good general info out there and things to consider when driving.

I'm sure the controller dumbs it down. But things like stopped on a hill and not holding brake = clutch slippage. Foot on gas and brake = what? Some cars allow load for short period of time then seem to disengage gear if prolonged?

Wilson & Co

Established Member
Nick already mentioned to me that an announcement was coming at the end of April. I'm leaning towards "or will be any day..".

Yeah I trust my guy wouldn't make this up so when i talk to him tomorrow to do the deposit i will get the full scoop about the conversation he had with the rep

gofast15

Established Member
Ok, that's what I was hoping the tremec behavior would be like.

I have zero experience with dct of any type but its the biggest reason I'm interested in the car due to left knee that flares up in traffic with MT.

Watched some good videos on YTube too about dct's.. some good general info out there and things to consider when driving.

I'm sure the controller dumbs it down. But things like stopped on a hill and not holding brake = clutch slippage. Foot on gas and brake = what? Some cars allow load for short period of time then seem to disengage gear if prolonged?

GTRs DCT will roll backwards just like a manual car if you're on a hill and let go off the brake pedal . GTR DCT has an adjustable clutch TP [touch points]. you can make the car move slowly after releasing brake without hitting gas [ just like standard auto car] or you can make the car not to move at all [ like it's in neutral ] until you press the gas pedal . I haven't tried that in the R8 DCT yet

Wilson & Co

Established Member
GTRs DCT will roll backwards just like a manual car if you're on a hill and let go off the brake pedal . GTR DCT has an adjustable clutch TP [touch points]. you can make the car move slowly after releasing brake without hitting gas [ just like standard auto car] or you can make the car not to move at all [ like it's in neutral ] until you press the gas pedal . I haven't tried that in the R8 DCT yet

Aren't the slow rolling features technically slipping the clutch?

Also didnt the gtr have trans issues when used hard?

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Early GTR DCT's had issues when using launch control cause they couldn't handle the 4K+ rpm launches and if I remember correctly even though they offered the feature the warranty fineprint mentioned that you void the car warranty if you put the car in LC mode.

After a couple years Nissan lowered the LC rpm and also beefed up the DCT (what they did exactly IDK) and it was fine to use it (no risk of voiding warranty) but after each launch you had to cool off the trans by driving nicely or idling the car for a set period of time.

Tony

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That is correct. I’m sure Tremec has learned from previous DCTs but I do have some concerns on Tremecs first run. Still, just another way to advance the performance and at least with GT500 and Corvette using this Tremec DCT, we should have US parts available.
-J

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They have had plenty of time to iron out any bugs. Tremec and Ford have invested quite a lot of money into this and Tremec, no doubt, wants a smooth rollout. If anything, I hope they went overkill initially, and find ways to make it less robust (but still meet internal requirements) in later years.:)

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This is the single greatest fear I would have purchasing this as a first-year car and Tremec's attempt at this transmission design. Just has problems and recalls written all over it. I'm not a buyer so I get to watch from the side line.

Tom

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tremec has a rock solid reputation when it comes to building extremely robust transmissions, be they for the aftermarket or OEM.

The case, gears, shafts, etc, should be as strong as we have ever seen. Seems some are questioning the mechatronics end. In that regard, Tremec made the move some seven years ago to acquire the know how.

KUO Group acquires Dual Clutch Transmissions technology leader

The wildcard is the calibration and shift strategies Ford decides upon. One would assume there will be no herky-jerky and that shifts should be smooth at all times, even under extreme duress...we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread