DCT question

99BOSS

Active Member
Established Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2003
Messages
947
Location
N. Little Rock, AR
So today I was on the freeway getting some more miles in, its over 400 now. I was in sport mode about 70, just cruising. A truck was coming up on me fairly quick so I thought why not punch it and speed up, then move over. So I hit the gas pretty hard and the car went from 7th to 3rd I think. It took off quick but I thought thats odd, why didnt it go to 2nd. I was way ahead of the truck and now in a different lane and slowed back to 70 and did this again with same result. Kinda odd. So I changed to track mode. This time I floored it, trans dropped to 4th for a sec then to 3rd and took off. I still think it should have hit 2nd. I went to manual mode just to see what rpms it runs in each gear at 60 and 70 to see if 2nd was possible rpm wise and it shouldnt be a problem. So I guess my question is, lets say your on the freeway and want to go from a roll, whats the best way to get the transmission to go to the lowest gear possible? Dropping to 3rd at 70 isnt gonna cut it. Im sure its mode dependent or just do it manually. I just thought the DCT would react like a normal auto but much faster. Am I missing something?
 

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Moderator
Premium Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
17,734
Location
CA,NorCal
Still in learning mode. Unles you are flooring it all the time its likely going to the best gear it thinks it should.
 

99BOSS

Active Member
Established Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2003
Messages
947
Location
N. Little Rock, AR
Ok, makes sense because today was the first time I got on the gas that hard. Ive been driving it easy with just rolling on the gas some or easy pulls in manual mode with the paddles. It just felt weird getting on the gas pretty good and it not dropping low enough. I know with an engine that revs to 7500, dropping to 2nd at 60-70 is nothing.
 

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Moderator
Premium Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
17,734
Location
CA,NorCal
Ok, makes sense because today was the first time I got on the gas that hard. Ive been driving it easy with just rolling on the gas some or easy pulls in manual mode with the paddles. It just felt weird getting on the gas pretty good and it not dropping low enough. I know with an engine that revs to 7500, dropping to 2nd at 60-70 is nothing.
Well at almost 500 miles i hope youll be using your right foot a little more soon.
 

eagle eye

Active Member
Established Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
388
Location
NY
So today I was on the freeway getting some more miles in, its over 400 now. I was in sport mode about 70, just cruising. A truck was coming up on me fairly quick so I thought why not punch it and speed up, then move over. So I hit the gas pretty hard and the car went from 7th to 3rd I think. It took off quick but I thought thats odd, why didnt it go to 2nd. I was way ahead of the truck and now in a different lane and slowed back to 70 and did this again with same result. Kinda odd. So I changed to track mode. This time I floored it, trans dropped to 4th for a sec then to 3rd and took off. I still think it should have hit 2nd. I went to manual mode just to see what rpms it runs in each gear at 60 and 70 to see if 2nd was possible rpm wise and it shouldnt be a problem. So I guess my question is, lets say your on the freeway and want to go from a roll, whats the best way to get the transmission to go to the lowest gear possible? Dropping to 3rd at 70 isnt gonna cut it. Im sure its mode dependent or just do it manually. I just thought the DCT would react like a normal auto but much faster. Am I missing something?
If you're in auto mode, just pull in the downshift paddle and hold it. Once you're in WOT, release the paddle and the car will do the rest.
It'll automatically select the optimum gear you need to be in for max acceleration.
(remember, if your in manual mode, the car will never upshift on its own, only downshift)
 

BOD89LX

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
1,482
Location
USA
Like eagle eye said pull the downshift paddle back and hold it in. It will put you in the lowest possible gear that you can use. You can release the paddle and then floor it, you have about 15 seconds before it will upshift on its own. If you look at the dash it will show the paddles on the display showing that you manually shifted and will disappear when it goes back to auto mode on its own. It’s like a temporary manual mode that you don’t have to worry about upshifting in.
 

BOD89LX

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
1,482
Location
USA
I love the 6 speed TR-6060 in my Viper. It has the best clutch/shifter feel of any manual trans car Ive owned but Id still take a DCT over it in a heartbeat.
Unless it’s a GT500 , my 2012 and my 2013 would not go into 2nd gear if you could shift fast. It would grind or lock out, and if you say my car doesn’t do it then you have a modified transmission or are not shifting fast enough to have the problem. It is the only reason I got rid of my 2013 GT500 , I guess I could have sent it out to be faceplated and upgraded so it would shift like every other Ford manual transmission I have owned. My DCT has yet to miss a gear or not go In to gear. If you don’t drag race your car you will never experience the problem most likely.
 

BOD89LX

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
1,482
Location
USA
So today I went to the drag strip and ran [email protected] with my bone stock DCT GT500 . I don’t remember any 2013-2014 GT500’s with the holy grail manual transmission running running in the 10’s. But hey the 6 speed manual is so much better. Did the 2013-2014‘s run faster on road corse?
 

blue 07

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
597
Location
NH
I don't think anyone is going to say it doesn't shift faster, its just a hell of a lot of fun shifting through gears with 3 pedals ! Maybe its me, but Ford should have given the new Shelby at least an option for a manual tranny, they always have in the past and the present ( Mach 1, GT350 with a manual) . My guess, if you took 80% of Shelby owners, they use the car to cruise on nice days, go to car shows, cruise nights, gawk at it in the garage, impress their friends and neighbors, etc. The other 20% of Shelby owners, go to the dragstrip, use them for road courses, beat the hell out of them, etc., use them for what they were built for.
All good whatever you intend to do with it.
At least give me the option for a manual tranny ! Don't force me into a transmission that I do not prefer.
 

BOD89LX

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
1,482
Location
USA
I don't think anyone is going to say it doesn't shift faster, its just a hell of a lot of fun shifting through gears with 3 pedals ! Maybe its me, but Ford should have given the new Shelby at least an option for a manual tranny, they always have in the past and the present ( Mach 1, GT350 with a manual) . My guess, if you took 80% of Shelby owners, they use the car to cruise on nice days, go to car shows, cruise nights, gawk at it in the garage, impress their friends and neighbors, etc. The other 20% of Shelby owners, go to the dragstrip, use them for road courses, beat the hell out of them, etc., use them for what they were built for.
All good whatever you intend to do with it.
At least give me the option for a manual tranny ! Don't force me into a transmission that I do not prefer.
That’s fair, I just think Ford didn’t want to invest the money and R&D to develop a manual transmission and clutch that could hold the amount of power these cars make for a 3 year production run that may only sell 1000 units across 3 model years.
 

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Moderator
Premium Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2005
Messages
17,734
Location
CA,NorCal
That’s fair, I just think Ford didn’t want to invest the money and R&D to develop a manual transmission and clutch that could hold the amount of power these cars make for a 3 year production run that may only sell 1000 units across 3 model years.
I agree, in came from an investment of R&D. I would assume the DCT investment cost was huge too.
 

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
11,264
Location
The Ville
I was happy with the TR6060 in my own GT500 but was just pointing out that the argument isn't a one way street. Bottom line, the DCT is expensive enough as it is. Cut production orders from Ford to Tremec in half (for example) for the DCT and the cost becomes 100% prohibitive. Ford offers one transmission choice in these cars for a reason, maximizing profits.
 

07 Black Beauty

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
2,366
Location
Florida
I don't think anyone is going to say it doesn't shift faster, its just a hell of a lot of fun shifting through gears with 3 pedals ! Maybe its me, but Ford should have given the new Shelby at least an option for a manual tranny, they always have in the past and the present ( Mach 1, GT350 with a manual) . My guess, if you took 80% of Shelby owners, they use the car to cruise on nice days, go to car shows, cruise nights, gawk at it in the garage, impress their friends and neighbors, etc. The other 20% of Shelby owners, go to the dragstrip, use them for road courses, beat the hell out of them, etc., use them for what they were built for.
All good whatever you intend to do with it.
At least give me the option for a manual tranny ! Don't force me into a transmission that I do not prefer.


Most guys that are against the DCT haven't driven the new 500 to see how good it is. Like you I was against the DCT. After hearing how good it was I made the decision to sell my 350R and order 1. It's been about a year since I took delivery of my 2020 and I can honestly say I don't miss the manual. I also had a couple of 13/14 500's prior, and I can honestly say the new 500 is all around a better car.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread



Top