DBW - how to determine TB opening vs pedal position?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been wondering if part of the reason my ecoboost f150 feels so snappy is because the tune plays with the throttle body but looking around in LiveLink Im not quite sure how to determine it. I realize it also could be more boost and/or timing down low that makes it wanna spin a tire when you think about the throttle in the rain.

Normally I would assume on a stock vehicle the pedal position and TB opening would be linear - 1/4 pedal = tb 1/4 open etc... if the tune was making it where the TB is 1/2 open at 1/4 throttle pedal position which pids would you compare to see that?

I mean, isn't that how the pedal commanders and stuff work?

BlackStang00

Established Member
What app are you using to datalog? I know on Forscan there are pids for APP-Accellerator Pedal Position and TP-Throttle Position. It’s been a while since I’ve used both pids but they should be able to be viewed in degrees. Also I think there’s another pod for Throttle Angle too.

Someone on another forum explained how the pedal commander worked. I said it worked like you described but they gave me some sort of convoluted answer. I’d assume it works like you describe though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have line link 2 and forscan

When looking at livelink there were quite a few pids to pick from

decipha

Established Member
Yeah its very common for tuners to command more throttle at a lower pedal position to give you the end user a more sportier pedal feel.

The relationship between pedal and actual throttle is not exactly linear though. The pedal position is just a feed forward driver demand or torque commanded, the ecu calculates what all needs happen to deliver that amount of torque weather it be boost, spark, fuel or cam timing, imrc, etc... all of which are modifiers to torque.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah its very common for tuners to command more throttle at a lower pedal position to give you the end user a more sportier pedal feel.

The relationship between pedal and actual throttle is not exactly linear though. The pedal position is just a feed forward driver demand or torque commanded, the ecu calculates what all needs happen to deliver that amount of torque weather it be boost, spark, fuel or cam timing, imrc, etc... all of which are modifiers to torque.

in other words not that simple.

I don't really wanna pay the couple bucks for a tune revision but I might. I can appreciate the instant power but at the same time my truck has an electronic locker so it's essentially an open diff. It's incredibly difficult to the put the power down like that from a stop/low roll. Making a right turn and merging into traffic when it's wet can get interesting quickly

decipha

Established Member
Yeah I hear ya I have a 20 f150 I daily and the electric locker stays engaged when you turn it off making turns hop a bit

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
in other words not that simple.

I don't really wanna pay the couple bucks for a tune revision but I might. I can appreciate the instant power but at the same time my truck has an electronic locker so it's essentially an open diff. It's incredibly difficult to the put the power down like that from a stop/low roll. Making a right turn and merging into traffic when it's wet can get interesting quickly
FWIW as an alternative to the tune they sell boxes you can snap inline with your throttle pedal connector that do the same thing. Not sure if they're cheaper than a tune revision in your case though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW as an alternative to the tune they sell boxes you can snap inline with your throttle pedal connector that do the same thing. Not sure if they're cheaper than a tune revision in your case though.
Tune revision is under $50 if I remember right so not a big deal

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A tuned ecoboost has a tremendous amount of torque just off idle. It doesn't take much throttle effort to start wheelspin in the rain and the electric locker doesn't help a whole lot for street driving. I typically put my F-150 in AWD when the roads are wet. It's a moot point if you don't have that mode. Biggest problem with doing that is forgetting to turn it off.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A tuned ecoboost has a tremendous amount of torque just off idle. It doesn't take much throttle effort to start wheelspin in the rain and the electric locker doesn't help a whole lot for street driving. I typically put my F-150 in AWD when the roads are wet. It's a moot point if you don't have that mode. Biggest problem with doing that is forgetting to turn it off.
mine's just 2 wheel drive. in hindsight the e-lock was a poor choice. Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread