Dataloggin STFT and LTFT

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Is there any literature on concepts of tuning? I've always wanted to deepen my understanding of whats going on with my car.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Is there any literature on concepts of tuning? I've always wanted to deepen my understanding of whats going on with my car.

Greg Banish has a few books you can pick up from amazon ($20 each) and an expensive CD (~$200). You can also get Don Lasota's book if you don't have it.

Last edited:

mustangtw

Established Member
I fixed it, I was basing my statement on fuel, not air, which is what the maf xfer table actually is. tis corrected now. however if you were using wideband readings you would definately use the 12.0/14.64 (again, theoretical numbers) and mult by that.

I still believe its increasing the fuel when your increasing airflow. I just got done tuning my gt500 which was running rich according to the wideband. I reduced airflow numbers and it leaned it out. When i tune i use stft for the bottom half of the maf curve and wideband readings for the top half 600+ counts (open loop)

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I still believe its increasing the fuel when your increasing airflow. I just got done tuning my gt500 which was running rich according to the wideband. I reduced airflow numbers and it leaned it out. When i tune i use stft for the bottom half of the maf curve and wideband readings for the top half 600+ counts (open loop)

this is correct in a sense. the base fuel tables will base their commands off of the maf xfer table. if you tell the car-hey, there's less air than you thought was coming through here- it'll put in less fuel etc. usually open loop occurs at 555 counts- did you change yours? (just wondering out of interest)

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Greg Banish has a few books you can pick up from amazon ($20 each) and an expensive CD (~$200). You can also get Don Lasota's book if you don't have it.

I found the banish stuff to be ok- but not great. I like the lasotta stuff cause it was more applicable to the prp software which I use.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Maybe it is just me, but I trust the computer in closed loop (adaptive off) way more than I do a 200ish dollar wideband and I feel it is easier. Hate even relying on it in WOT, but I dont have thousands for a retarded expensive wideband.

If adaptive is off, closed loop isn't achieving anything really for you. plus with a wideband you can watch what's happening. an expensive wideband is not necessary at all. all it gives you is a reading- so as long as it's calibrated correctly, they're all the same. now bosch vs ntk sensor is a different argument for a different day.

mustangtw

Established Member
this is correct in a sense. the base fuel tables will base their commands off of the maf xfer table. if you tell the car-hey, there's less air than you thought was coming through here- it'll put in less fuel etc. usually open loop occurs at 555 counts- did you change yours? (just wondering out of interest)

My open loop is set to occur at 545 TP_counts, which is the factory setting for my processor. I have not changed it. All I have changed is the blending ramp and delay timer.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
If adaptive is off, closed loop isn't achieving anything really for you. plus with a wideband you can watch what's happening. an expensive wideband is not necessary at all. all it gives you is a reading- so as long as it's calibrated correctly, they're all the same. now bosch vs ntk sensor is a different argument for a different day.

Of course it isnt doing anything for you, but you base your MAF transfer changes off what your system is telling you (when it is in closed loop adaptive off). You watch STFT 1&2 to get your data. Then you get it close and turn adaptive back on. There is just too much variation in consumer widebands. Brand new mine was saying 11.5 at WOT. Great right? Untill the AFM 1000 tells me it is really 12.4.

Whatever gets the car tuned and running properly without broken parts is a win in my book.

Last edited:

iggster

Established Member

This is true, ive compared my wideband to a dynojet one and it was off .1 at the bong.

I like the wideband dataloggin more then a dynojet wideband cause I know exactly what a/f mass air count at a certain RPM I am getting plus its more accurate then having a sniffer on the tail pipe.

Also I do some tuning via fuel trims but thats mostly idle, once its open loop that goes out the window.

The don lasota books are the best books around IMO, I really like the greg banish dvd ($200+) and the classes he offers are the best and needed to become an advanced tuner to get the added options like drive by wire, transient fuel etc etc.

Untitled-1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread