DAMN REAR END AGAIN!!!

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I just replaced the UCA's with Steeda HD's. That problem is gone...but now my rear end is making a noise but only if I'm moving real slow, easing into a parking spot or something (Especially in reverse). Could the U-joint on the drive shaft be bad?? I didn't start having these problems til I started racing. I don't think my car has enough power to be causing these problems from launching...what is wrong?? My car still has under 50k miles on it too!!

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Be More Specific...

What is this "noise" it makes?
Do you have aftermarket gears? If so, what ratio? What brand? Who installed them? Do you have the stock DS? etc. etc.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
The gears were supposed to be installed this weekend, I'm waiting now til after I find out what this noise is, I'm hoping it's only a U-joint. It makes a clunking popping sorta noise, at a regular interval when backing up, and a few times when going forward, especially when turning going forward. I have only been able to hear it when backing into or pulling out of a parking spot.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
So stock gears and stock DS...
It does maybe sound like a noise a U-joint could make, which isn't that big of a deal.

How many miles on the car?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
It's so hard to diagnose a noise on the web! Well that's sure not alot of miles... It does sound like it's coming from the rear though huh? B4 you replace the u-joints, if you haven't already, check your rear sway bar botls to see if they are tight, and also the upper/lower control arm bolts. If they all check out, have a shop check the u-joints... I'm not exactly sure how they dertermine when they are bad. They really shouldn't be at that milage, but stranger things have happened.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I don't think the UCA's should have gone bad at that mileage either but they did...I think it's from launching at the track though.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Nope..launching on stock tires (the ones that are stock on the Bullitt anyways), getting traction as best as I can...

COBRA_N_BULLITT

I had the same problem with mine and it WAS NOT a u joint. That would have been too easy. The entire spider gear was shot and hanging up, thats where your getting the noise and bump. Sorry to pee on your parade but this is whats going on.:mj:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Ow...

That's a thought...
Usually the 8.8's are pretty durable, but ya' never know. You were gonna do gears anyways, the guy would know right away if anything was too worn in there.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Welp we'll find out during the winter sometime, the car is getting parked for the winter except for going from garage to garage...hopefully I'll get the 3K worth of mods on during the winter that I've been trying to put on all summer.

Users who are viewing this thread