D&D Coil Overs and Cobra R Bilsteins. Good or Bad??

icehoc8

Established Member
I am going to get the Cobra Bilstein struts and shocks for sure. Now I have a chance to buy a brand new D&D front coil over kit with 250# springs. Will these springs work well with the Bilsteins? I need to know if the ride will be pleasent or unbearable? Please help out here!!:confused:

Also were could I purchase some rear H&R Race springs for the cobra vert.? Or do I have to buy all four and try and sell the front springs? Any info, suggestions are welcome. Please Please!!!!!

:joy: ;)

Thanks

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by icehoc8
I am going to get the Cobra Bilstein struts and shocks for sure. Now I have a chance to buy a brand new D&D front coil over kit with 250# springs. Will these springs work well with the Bilsteins? I need to know if the ride will be pleasent or unbearable? Please help out here!!:confused:

Also were could I purchase some rear H&R Race springs for the cobra vert.? Or do I have to buy all four and try and sell the front springs? Any info, suggestions are welcome. Please Please!!!!!

:joy: ;)

Thanks

250lb springs might be a little light. If you have time to wait, I am in the process of adding Koni d/a's and going to 475 lb springs front and 450 rear. The car should be finished this week so I can give you a comparison in ride quality. I am also doing a K-member and a bunch of other mods while the car is apart so it is taking a few days.

I am removing Bilstein shocks/struts and H&R race springs, so the comparison may or may no be of help to you.

Brian

icehoc8

Established Member
Cobra-R
250lb springs might be a little light. If you have time to wait, I am in the process of adding Koni d/a's and going to 475 lb springs front and 450 rear. The car should be finished this week so I can give you a comparison in ride quality. I am also doing a K-member and a bunch of other mods while the car is apart so it is taking a few days.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing about the springs. :) I see that you are removing your H&Rs and your Bilsteins. Were you going to be selling those? If so, I am interested. Thanks :coolman:

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I installed the Griggs setup on my 99Cobra. They use the Koni DA's. And I wouldn't change them for anything. The setup is awsome. being able to stiffen the car for street use and then cruise to the track for track duty is awsome.

Buy the way. The rate of the Factory spring is not the same as a coil over spring. So a 450lbs Coil Over spring is way stiffer than a 450lbs coil spring.

My 2 Cents page

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
I installed the Griggs setup on my 99Cobra. They use the Koni DA's. And I wouldn't change them for anything. The setup is awsome. being able to stiffen the car for street use and then cruise to the track for track duty is awsome.

Buy the way. The rate of the Factory spring is not the same as a coil over spring. So a 450lbs Coil Over spring is way stiffer than a 450lbs coil spring.

My 2 Cents page

Well said.

I drove the car for the first time today, and all I can say is wow!!!!!! It rides very nice on the street, will find out how it is on the track next week at hallet. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Cobra-R

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing about the springs. :) I see that you are removing your H&Rs and your Bilsteins. Were you going to be selling those? If so, I am interested. Thanks :coolman:

I have a friend that is buying my old setup, if that falls thru I will post it here and let you know. :beer:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged

My 2 Cents page
Saw your black cobra on your page...one bas ass looking ride! How did you lower the front 2 inches..reason I ask is because i only lowered mine 1.25 with eibachs all around. I want to get the front lowered to 2 inches:p

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by RO COBRA

Saw your black cobra on your page...one bas ass looking ride! How did you lower the front 2 inches..reason I ask is because i only lowered mine 1.25 with eibachs all around. I want to get the front lowered to 2 inches:p

With coil-overs you just adjust the spring to get the ride height you want. It's very easy. (I am assuming he has coilover D/A's)

GTJim

Established Member
I'm running the MM coilovers with 400# springs on the bilsteins (H&R race springs in the rear). Since the bilsteins aren't adjustable, I don't think I would go any stiffer than this. This setup is definately stiffer than stock, but not too bad around town, great on the track.

Agreed, if you want to lower the front 2+ inches, then coilovers are the best answer... :rolling:

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
On the note of coil overs, if you plan on making a performance setup with it (i.e., from street to track and back again), and you'd like to be able to adjust for optimum road conditions, I'd recommend double adjustable struts and shocks.

I've got the Koni sport yellows DA up front, with a 12-275 spring for the streets. That's actually fairly soft, but with a quick spring change, like a 10-350 or even an 8 coil spring, I can adjust the compression and rebound accordingly and head to the open track with the same strut. In the back, I'm limited to 12-way rebound adjustable shocks right now, but plan on going with a DA shock as well. Springs are pretty cheap and you should be able to afford to keep a couple of different spring rates on hand. DA shocks/struts give you this extra flexibility, IMO.

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS and road race suspension
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!
gaugefull2a.jpg
side1a.jpg
engine1a.jpg
coilover1b.jpg

Gauges - zoom in || Exterior - larger view|| -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Chassis/Suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
Roll cage
Trunk mods
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

http://www.svttexas.com

GTJim

Established Member
Coop, that's one sweet setup. :thumbsup: Which tubular c arms and k member did you go with? And how was the install?

Coop

XTreme Tech
Established Member
Thanks, GTJim.

The K is a the Griggs GR40 front suspension, except for the Koni's, which I bought cheaper through Summit. Not difficult to intall, just time consuming. Took me about a day.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Cobra-R

If your still interested in the springs and shock, they may be available. I should know soon. Let me know.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread