Cylinder #8 fail... rebuild suggestions?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Rog, im tracking now. Your post earlier led me to believe you were getting rid of all your gen 1 timing components :). Sounds like you have everything you need, from what I hear you will love those intake cams. I have the same ones waiting to be installed.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
The L&M cams are great. If the exhaust cams are stock Gen 1 units, I recommend you upgrade to the Boss 302 cams. Dirt cheap from Ford. And Boss valve springs.

Fast_351

Established Member
Possibly a cracked ring land in the piston. That would cause low compression and if caught in time will do no damage. Of course if you let it go eventually the piston comes apart and then all bets are off.

7Lemons

Established Member
Ahh ha! And here's the smoking gun! Check out these pics of the #8 piston/rings. I have it next to the #4 piston just for a comparison. Look at how the top ring is basically disintegrated and the ring land failed and a big chunk is missing. I wonder why the top ring has such little material left (it has substantially less material left than the normal rings of #4...basically it doesn't even look or feel like a ring) - possibly due to overheating in that cylinder??

20201229_161841_4M.jpg

20201229_160430_4M.jpg

20201229_160249_4M.jpg

20201229_160246_4M.jpg

7Lemons

Established Member
The L&M cams are great. If the exhaust cams are stock Gen 1 units, I recommend you upgrade to the Boss 302 cams. Dirt cheap from Ford. And Boss valve springs.

Noted - I may very well do that indeed. Thanks for the recommendation.

7Lemons

Established Member
Possibly a cracked ring land in the piston. That would cause low compression and if caught in time will do no damage. Of course if you let it go eventually the piston comes apart and then all bets are off.

Bingo! See the pics!

Users who are viewing this thread