Cyclic Chirping Noise Cause

13BlackGT500

Established Member
Hello, I have had this cyclic chirping noise (I added a youtube video link), and I cannot figure out what is causing it. I set up my camera next to all my wheels and it seems like it is coming from the rear driver side wheel (or around that area. I replaced the wheel bearing for that wheel, and it did not fox the issue. What are some other things that could be causing this? It would sometimes happen when I would turn left slightly, but it would mostly occur when braking lightly, and then stop when braking hard. The pads and rotors looks good, so I so not think it’s the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you check the caliper clips for wear? The rotor may rub against them occasionally. Also, check if your rotor is centered in the caliper. If it's not it may have a greater propensity to rub against the caliper clips.

13BlackGT500

Established Member
Nope, I know it’s not the brakes, the tires or the axle bearing. I’m gonna try to keep diagnosing this weekend. I am out of ideas for now

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Does the noise go away or increase when the brakes are applied? I have had a slightly warped rear rotor once that made that noise. If it goes away or gets worse than have your rear rotors turned and rebed your brakes. If no change then like into the rear axle/bearings

13BlackGT500

Established Member
Does the noise go away or increase when the brakes are applied? I have had a slightly warped rear rotor once that made that noise. If it goes away or gets worse than have your rear rotors turned and rebed your brakes. If no change then like into the rear axle/bearings

Well I swapped the two rear rotors to see if the sound would change sides, and it seems like it didnt. I will have to confirm with the camera. The noise happens when I am not applying the brakes, gets worse when I lightly apply the brakes, and then goes away when I hit the brakes hard. And I already swapped the rear axle bearing.

13BlackGT500

Established Member
Did you check the caliper clips for wear? The rotor may rub against them occasionally. Also, check if your rotor is centered in the caliper. If it's not it may have a greater propensity to rub against the caliper clips.

So I had checked for wear, and I did not notice anything. I decided to apply some brake grease to the clips and the caliper, and now the sound is gone. I guess something was scraping a bit and making that noise.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I read Coz's first post about rubbing on a clip, that made a lot of sense. I'm glad you figured it out. Squeaks/chirps like that are SO annoying.
(y)

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
That's great that things quieted down.

As long as the grease doesn't get on any part of the rotor that the pads contact.

To find the root cause, I suggest you raise the rear put the axle on jackstands. Take off both wheels/tires (for safety's sake) and then put it in gear at idle.

Then look at the rotor spinning and see if, and where it's rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread