CX Racing Intercooler 96-98 Cobra

DaveWertz

Established Member
So after lots of thought and selling some stuff off, I finally have the funds to get an intercooler. Does anyone have any real world experience with the CX racing IC for the 96-04 Mustangs? I plan on keeping my Powerpipe and MAF pre blower for the time being, so would this kit be a direct bolt on? Procharger is just insane with there pricing so that is out of the question. And I am not trying to pc things together. I see one issue with this kit is that I would have to buy a silicon adaptor to fit the oval TB.

DaveWertz

Established Member
The intercooler itself sucks.. Get a Treadstone. You can use their piping.
Have a good deal on a treadstone but want to make sure this fits first. So if I buy this kit and do use the IC, will it bolt right up? Other than the silicon coupler to mate it to the TB and a bung for the IAT sensor, will it bolt up.

milktasd2

Established Member
I used cx racing pipes and tread stone intercooler. Be prepared to buy some extra elbows depending on how your route it.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I used cx racing pipes and tread stone intercooler. Be prepared to buy some extra elbows depending on how your route it.
So I was looking at CX racing universal kit. It does not come with the mounting bracket which I would need, Im going to keep my powerpipe and draw through setup for now so I will be running a BPV and not a BOV. Do you remember what pipes you needed to complete your setup? How many straights, 45 and 90s? I think i can do this without welding, if its as simple as maybe needing to cut some pcs down thats no biggie. And I have a buddy that can put rolled lips on the ends I cut.

milktasd2

Established Member
Not really, I for some reason didn’t want to cut a hole in the frame for the pipes to go through, so just used the one existing hole where the air filter used to be.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I've had the CX racing kit installed on mine for over 10 years. Can't speak for today's quality, it's probably junk now but my intercooler and piping is pretty nice. I didn't have to cut any holes in the car. Only mods was the steering pump cooler line and the coolant overflow support rod. I'm running a blow through setup maf. Has about 80k miles on the kit without a issue to date. But I will say if I decide to upgrade the IC, it'll be with a Treadstone. I did have to buy odd and ends stuff from this place.

Intercooler Pipe Fabrication

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
So after lots of thought and selling some stuff off, I finally have the funds to get an intercooler. Does anyone have any real world experience with the CX racing IC for the 96-04 Mustangs? I plan on keeping my Powerpipe and MAF pre blower for the time being, so would this kit be a direct bolt on? Procharger is just insane with there pricing so that is out of the question. And I am not trying to pc things together. I see one issue with this kit is that I would have to buy a silicon adaptor to fit the oval TB.

It can be easily duplicated from my build thread. Wouldn't put a CX intercooler on my golf cart when a Treadstone is close in price.

DaveWertz

Established Member
It can be easily duplicated from my build thread. Wouldn't put a CX intercooler on my golf cart when a Treadstone is close in price.
I think the treadstone is somehwere in the ball park of 500+ just for the IC, and the CX is 250? Plus comes with the mount. I did just get a blow through maf with housing from a member on here so I'll be ditching the draw through and power pipe. If I wasn't on a 1200 budget id be getting the treadstone, but still need a bpv/bov amd 350 for a new tune. Thats 600 alone.

Users who are viewing this thread