Established Member
scared.gif
GOZILLLA!!!!
scared.gif
scared.gif

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Nope, he's a normal 6-month old male, and in the photo he's contracted as he's running on the wheel. I monitor his weight closely. He eats a carefully controlled diet, and runs close to 5 miles per night!

evoish

Established Member
How are they as pets. Are they friendly towards you being that your the owner.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Hedgehogs are NOT for everybody! They require a lot of patience and generally get friendly with only one person. They require a lot of socialization to become and remain tame. If they are not used to you, they ball up and hiss, and those spines are SHARP. The spines are not barbed, and don't detach. Once they know and like you, they can easily be picked up, and love to play. Their belly fur is soft. I spend about half an hour a day with "Velcro". Oh, he's nocturnal, so our time together is usually around 3 in the morning. It's really great when you get an interesting animal like a hedgehog to know and trust you.

If you are interested, a good source of information is Prickly Creek Exotics

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
harry, so I take it you've been stabbed by Velcro quite a few times? They dont bite do they?

Not really. Before we "knew" each other, I tried to pick him up from the top. His spines are sharp, so I was able to take my daily blood sample for glucose testing by touching him.:nono:

Then we got to know each other, and I learned to scoop him up from underneath. So now, I only get stuck on my pinkies. He actually seems to like being picked up, and sits happily in my hand. He also likes to burrow under my leg when I'm sitting on the floor, which is OK so long as he moves forward!

A hedgehog's vision is poor, but his taste and smell are excellent. So he licks my hands, and if they tastes/smell good (to him) he nibbles. He won't bite, but any animal will bite if you scare it.

Velcro is a sweety. I'm working on making him a maze of tubes to crawl through, and bought him some ferret toys to play with. He eats a special food mix, mealworms, crickets, ferret treats, and small pieces of chicken.

He's not as outwardly affectionate as my Black Bear Hamsters, but it's been rewarding getting his trust.

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Originally posted by SlowSVT95
I want one!!! :-D

As I posted earlier, hedgehogs require more attention and patience than most pets. Check out the web site link, also try hedgehogcentral .

I got Velcro from a previous owner who could not provide the attention and care he required. Buy ONLY from a licensed breeder who can help you. Be advised that many people who get hedgies give them up, and I will soon be joining a hedgehog rescue group.

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
If that is your pet in the first pic he needs a vigorous workout or a diet. He's a fat ass.

thats what they are supposed to look like...they are big...little animals:bored:

evoish

Established Member
How much do they cost? How much to get the correct cage? And finally how much do you spend a month on his food.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
All your questions are answered on the links embedded in my posts. They cost about $150. Velcro lives in a huge plastic tub with 25 liters of Carefresh animal litter, changed weekly. I estimate it costs about $10/week for food and litter.

Users who are viewing this thread