cut rear springs

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I cut one and a quarter rounds off my factory rear coils. lowered about and inch and a quarter. no more 4x4 look.
will post pics in a while.
if anyone wants a free rear drop. your welcome..

Jonberlin

Established Member
I will never understand people that cut their springs, just invest 200-300$ and get some lowering springs!!! Just my 2cent

Jonny

86Fbody

Established Member
I will never understand people who won't try free mods before spending money.

I think it is because cutting springs to the same height as 1 inch drop springs isn't as effective as the drop springs, your screwing up the compression rate.

bexamous

Established Member
I'm not sure you're "screwing up" the compression rate, if you cut a spring you are affecting its compression rate... increasing it... but the stock rate is really low. If its fine there is nothing wrong with it.

Also if you want to buy some springs, there are 50 to pick from, all with different rates, basically none of which are advertised. So you don't really know wtf you're buying.... except based on what others have said, based on them having them and letting you know how it works. No more scientific than you cutting your own springs and trying them to see how it works.

At least when you get some coilovers you get to know springrates of whatever you buy.

draxxus131

Established Member
Ya all springs on stock are of "PROGRESSIVE" nature, not linear. You may run into a sagging issue, later on because of you cutting them. I wish you the best! YA GOT CAHONES.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I'm pretty sure ALL stock springs are linear....If the ride height is there and does what you want then good for you! Being happy and saving money is always good!

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Ya all springs on stock are of "PROGRESSIVE" nature, not linear. You may run into a sagging issue, later on because of you cutting them. I wish you the best! YA GOT CAHONES.

I think thats wrong. Look at the aftermarket progressive springs. They have tightly wound bottoms and loose wound tops. Factory springs are loosly wound all the way.

I dont see any saging. Same measurements as the day I cut them.
I need to figure out why my photobucket is acting up to show everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread