Current New Vehicle Market

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Eighty-nine percent of survey respondents who had reserved a Tesla Cybertruck also reserved another electric pickup. In comparison, every buyer who had reserved a Ford F-150 Lightning or Chevy Silverado EV also reserved another EV truck.

Electric truck shoppers, Recurrent speculates, may hedge their bets because delivery dates are so far in the future. Chevy is taking reservations for the Silverado EV now with hopes of delivering it by 2024, for instance. Just 20% of those who have reserved a Silverado EV told Recurrent they expect to buy it.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Stellantis will transition 2500 and 3500 to hydrogen power. Looking at Europe, sure looks like long haul trucks will also be hydrogen powered.

Tons of speculation there with absolutely zero to back it up with either company. I wouldn't take any of that to the bank.

H2 is an excellent transition from fossil fuels.
Provided the source to create m/extract the H2 isn’t using…. fossil fuels.

H2 would be a fantastic transition though if we can produce it in bulk for industrial use.

GE and Siemens already have refits available for their gas turbines. Power plants could make the change with relative ease.

Yep you can crack methane into hydrogen. Wait, you mean we already have renewable sources of methane, a distribution network, and hardware to run it? But it's a greenhouse gas so we can't have that...

The market is heavily looking at hydrogen as a medium for both fuel cell and ICE as solutions to higher power density applications, but I think we're still in the very early phases of it. It's going to be a long, painful learning process. There's still a chance battery technology could improve as well.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Tons of speculation there with absolutely zero to back it up with either company. I wouldn't take any of that to the bank.

Yep you can crack methane into hydrogen. Wait, you mean we already have renewable sources of methane, a distribution network, and hardware to run it? But it's a greenhouse gas so we can't have that...

The market is heavily looking at hydrogen as a medium for both fuel cell and ICE as solutions to higher power density applications, but I think we're still in the very early phases of it. It's going to be a long, painful learning process. There's still a chance battery technology could improve as well.

Well, there are different ways to produce H2.

Very basic BASIC explanation:

blue-green-hydrogen-graphic.jpeg

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Localish dealer with 3 hybrid F-150's still on the lot dropped them another $2,500, still over MSRP. Very local dealer had one on lot, but sold after a few days this week.

Local Chevy dealer who had the full work truck lot has emptied out half, maybe 15 or so left now.

Dusten

Established Member
Under 20 gallons (15.9 or so) doesn't take a long time but the point being is that convenience or lack there of, is costly. Even an hour is a long time when you take things into consideration.

This is why they make sense as a commuter or dd.

You charge at night. Charge while shopping at a store. Charge at work.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I've said it before but people who are paying msrp+ will be in for a treat when they're trying to unload these things in 3-4 years time. The intuitions who loaned them the money too...
Yep, just requoting my statement in post #45 from last year. Took less time than I predicted...

q6543

Established Member
It's gonna go down eerily similar to the 08 housing market.
10x easier to walk away from a car.
Standing by this call.
Just was hearing cars were being loaned on at 140% of book value.
They're hitting auction blocks at 70% of book.

Gonna pick up steam from here.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Standing by this call.
Just was hearing cars were being loaned on at 140% of book value.
They're hitting auction blocks at 70% of book.

Gonna pick up steam from here.

70% of book? LOL

You're crazy. I'd be buying as many as I could get my hands on at those prices. What mysterious auctions are you looking at?

q6543

Established Member
Came up in bank earnings conference calls this week. They're writing down holding the bags.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Came up in bank earnings conference calls this week. They're writing down holding the bags.

I'd love to see/know what auctions they're talking about.

I spend a sizeable chunk of my week, every week, buying vehicles from various auction sites are the country. If I can buy one 5% back of left side book, I'm all over it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
So best way is to hold money in the bank and buy them at auctions from the repos? lol

I noticed KBB prices keep going down more and more for used cars every week. This is going to be a shit show

q6543

Established Member
I think it's number word play.
If car is selling at 140% loan to value.
And it's auctioned at 70% of that.

Then it's really coming in at 98% of LTV.

Sounds worse than it is I guess.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think it's number word play.
If car is selling at 140% loan to value.
And it's auctioned at 70% of that.

Then it's really coming in at 98% of LTV.

Sounds worse than it is I guess.

That makes much more sense. In your original post you said "they were coming in at 70% of book".

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Interesting, that localish dealer is still sitting on those same 3 F-150 hybrids. Local Chevy dealer that had the full work truck lot is down to just a handful now. New inventory at most of the makes is still just a handful each.

Users who are viewing this thread