Current New Vehicle Market

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
:(

Auto sales are falling in the U.S. but profits are soaring

TSLA +1.58%Mar. 23, 2022 12:06 PM ET12 Comments
Retail automobile sales in the U.S. are forecast to fall 27.8% in March to 1,044,464 units, according to a forecast from J.D. Power. New-vehicle total sales in Q1 are projected to fall 18.4% from last year's level to 3,228,000 units amid the tight supply due to the supply chain, COVID and Ukraine-Russia war issues that have held back production.
J.D. Power's breakdown: "Typically, March is a high-volume sales month with elevated promotional activity because it marks the end of the fiscal year for some manufacturers and the close of the first quarter for others. In March 2021, consumers purchased almost 1.4 million new vehicles at retail. This year, with fewer than 900,000 units in inventory, it will be impossible for the sale pace to even approach last year’s level. Given the strong demand and extremely constrained inventory situation, it should be no surprise that manufacturer discounts are at their lowest level ever, while prices and profitability set records for the month of March."
Profitability is holding up in the sector. Incentive spending by manufacturers per vehicle is trending toward an all-time low of 2.3% of MSRP and is tracking to be down 68% from the level of last year. Also, the average transaction price is expected to be up 18% to $44,129. Total retailer profit per unit - inclusive of grosses and finance and insurance income - is on pace to reach $4,931 in March, an increase of $2,656 from a year ago. For Q1, aggregated retailer profit from new vehicle sales is projected to reach $14.2B, which is noted by J.D. Power to be an "astounding" 95% increase from Q1 of 2021.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
:(

Auto sales are falling in the U.S. but profits are soaring

TSLA +1.58%Mar. 23, 2022 12:06 PM ET12 Comments
Retail automobile sales in the U.S. are forecast to fall 27.8% in March to 1,044,464 units, according to a forecast from J.D. Power. New-vehicle total sales in Q1 are projected to fall 18.4% from last year's level to 3,228,000 units amid the tight supply due to the supply chain, COVID and Ukraine-Russia war issues that have held back production.
J.D. Power's breakdown: "Typically, March is a high-volume sales month with elevated promotional activity because it marks the end of the fiscal year for some manufacturers and the close of the first quarter for others. In March 2021, consumers purchased almost 1.4 million new vehicles at retail. This year, with fewer than 900,000 units in inventory, it will be impossible for the sale pace to even approach last year’s level. Given the strong demand and extremely constrained inventory situation, it should be no surprise that manufacturer discounts are at their lowest level ever, while prices and profitability set records for the month of March."
Profitability is holding up in the sector. Incentive spending by manufacturers per vehicle is trending toward an all-time low of 2.3% of MSRP and is tracking to be down 68% from the level of last year. Also, the average transaction price is expected to be up 18% to $44,129. Total retailer profit per unit - inclusive of grosses and finance and insurance income - is on pace to reach $4,931 in March, an increase of $2,656 from a year ago. For Q1, aggregated retailer profit from new vehicle sales is projected to reach $14.2B, which is noted by J.D. Power to be an "astounding" 95% increase from Q1 of 2021.

Man, I'm doing something wrong. Definitely not getting a 95% increase in profits haha

Alright, no more SVTP discounts.

q6543

Established Member
It's gonna go down eerily similar to the 08 housing market.
10x easier to walk away from a car. Screenshot_20220325-104233_Samsung Internet.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Recession by Q4 this year. Interest rates going to bend over buyers to the extent that 50% of the buying demographic won't be able to buy.

Housing rates getting ready to be over 6% ballooning the price of housing forcing people to rent, again ballooning rental prices.

All of this will allow the supply chain to adjust and "catch up" because folks won't be buying shit they don't need.

Times a changin, boys. keep your cash and be ready to pounce!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Recession by Q4 this year. Interest rates going to bend over buyers to the extent that 50% of the buying demographic won't be able to buy.

Housing rates getting ready to be over 6% ballooning the price of housing forcing people to rent, again ballooning rental prices.

All of this will allow the supply chain to adjust and "catch up" because folks won't be buying shit they don't need.

I think Q3 or Q4 of next year.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

I think Q3 or Q4 of next year.
I'm thinking Q4 this year or Q1 next year.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Totally agree with that.

I agree with your post #616 too.

I just don't see this administration stopping the faucet. I think they'll carry it as long as they can, knowing the red wave is coming in November...then over the next two years as the bottom falls out, it will be the Republican's fault.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I agree with your post #616 too.

I just don't see this administration stopping the faucet. I think they'll carry it as long as they can, knowing the red wave is coming in November...then over the next two years as the bottom falls out, it will be the Republican's fault.
You're wrong. Its not like this Administration is talking about sending checks to auto owners because gas prices are so high. Oh...wait...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
People like that aren't the 'norm' by any means...but there are definitely a lot of them out there haha

Yup, bring it on

Users who are viewing this thread