Current New Vehicle Market

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I read the last page and was like, “Well, I guess it’s time to tell everyone my shame about these dolls.”

But, a few of you handled that for me.

I’m 5-10 minutes in on that page, and I’m pretty sure I’m about to do a search for other dolls, for research.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll guess that sticker prices will continue to rise. My FIL’s 2013 F150 lariat stickers for 48k if I recall what he told me right. My 2015 XLT 302a stickered at 50k. Our nearly identical 2022 F250s stickered at 62k and change. A similarly equipped F150 is a good 3k more. This is 2013-2021, but even in a short 2 year period of “normal” economics from 13-15 we saw prices jump.

Prices tend to increase over time. Inflation fluctuates over time. Look at the 80s into the 90s.

I’m just working my butt off to open up the next door career wise where my earnings have a way higher limit. Easy to bitch about it, and Brandon & co. are responsible for plenty of shit that I grumble about daily. However, I don’t want to be a miserable SOB so that’s where I’m at right now.

Hopefully normal people, of which there are far more than news headline writers tend to publicize, will probably get fed up with all this and red wave 22 & 24 help right the ship.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’ll guess that sticker prices will continue to rise. My FIL’s 2013 F150 lariat stickers for 48k if I recall what he told me right. My 2015 XLT 302a stickered at 50k. Our nearly identical 2022 F250s stickered at 62k and change. A similarly equipped F150 is a good 3k more. This is 2013-2021, but even in a short 2 year period of “normal” economics from 13-15 we saw prices jump.

Prices tend to increase over time. Inflation fluctuates over time. Look at the 80s into the 90s.

I’m just working my butt off to open up the next door career wise where my earnings have a way higher limit. Easy to bitch about it, and Brandon & co. are responsible for plenty of shit that I grumble about daily. However, I don’t want to be a miserable SOB so that’s where I’m at right now.

Hopefully normal people, of which there are far more than news headline writers tend to publicize, will probably get fed up with all this and red wave 22 & 24 help right the ship.
Sticker will always rise. But reality does not dictate msrp. But reality does dictate actual selling price. When demand is high and supply is low its a sellers market. When supply is high and demand is low its a buyers market. Which means manufacturers give massive incentives and dealers drop prices well below invoice to sell vehicles sitting on lots.

Dealers now will tell you that youll never get a good deal ever again. Reality and history will tell you that is 100% bull shit. What matters is how much do you need or want right now. Currently at what they are selling will dictate the price you will pay.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the average lot time for Super Duties at my local dealer is maybe 18 hours.

They had an all black 7.3L Lariat F250 that I had my eye on. Some snatched it up right away.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sticker will always rise. But reality does not dictate msrp. But reality does dictate actual selling price. When demand is high and supply is low its a sellers market. When supply is high and demand is low its a buyers market. Which means manufacturers give massive incentives and dealers drop prices well below invoice to sell vehicles sitting on lots.

Dealers now will tell you that youll never get a good deal ever again. Reality and history will tell you that is 100% bull shit. What matters is how much do you need or want right now. Currently at what they are selling will dictate the price you will pay.

The auto industry has never experienced shortages as they are right now. This is different.

I think the average lot time for Super Duties at my local dealer is maybe 18 hours.

They had an all black 7.3L Lariat F250 that I had my eye on. Some snatched it up right away.

We can't even do that. I haven't had a stock Super Duty sitting on the lot in 9 months. They're either all retail orders, or they're sold before they come in.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
@13COBRA , are you dealing on ordered vehicles?

I was able to get a little $7k off MSRP on a ordered 22 RAM 2500. The local dealer would not budge off MSRP for on the lot vehicles but for orders they would go below invoice. Curious if brands other than RAM are doing the same?

In Ohio the Ford dealers were willing to sell at invoice for orders but GMC were charging above MSRP regardless of orders or on the lot inventory.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I was able to get a little $7k off MSRP on a ordered 22 RAM 2500. The local dealer would not budge off MSRP for on the lot vehicles but for orders they would go below invoice. Curious if brands other than RAM are doing the same?

In Ohio the Ford dealers were willing to sell at invoice for orders but GMC were charging above MSRP regardless of orders or on the lot inventory.

Yeah I'm still rolling good deals on orders for people.

I'll always take care of SVTP members, period. I like you guys.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I think GMC got the short end of the stick from GM. Our local, large, GMC dealer hasn't had pickup inventory for over a year. There outside lot has been empty for so long, I hear people asking if they are still in business.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think GMC got the short end of the stick from GM. Our local, large, GMC dealer hasn't had pickup inventory for over a year. There outside lot has been empty for so long, I hear people asking if they are still in business.

Yeah, I think right now it's pretty even as far as inventory goes between manufacturers.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I agree. When you look online none of the dealers have any inventory, especially HD trucks. However, once the newly designed Sierras hit the ground they will make up for it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I drove by my local Chevy dealer yesterday and their large lot was fill with trucks and vans. Drive my my local Audi dealership and the only new vehicles they had were in the showroom. Only used cars on their lot.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Both used and new cars are going to cost even more in 2022, Goldman says​

Ben Winck
Tue, December 21, 2021, 10:08 AM·3 min read

A car dealership lot with Ram pickup trucks.

A car dealership lot with Ram pickup trucks.David Zalubowski/AP
  • Car prices will keep climbing into 2022 as the chip shortage lingers, Goldman Sachs said.
  • The bank expects prices for used and new cars to peak in the first and second quarters, respectively.
  • The Omicron variant risks driving prices even higher by forcing chip factories to shut down.

If you waited for prices to fall before buying a car in 2021, Goldman Sachs says you'll have to wait a little while longer.
Inflation has lifted prices across the board over the last 12 months, but the car market has seen some of the biggest increases. Prices for used cars and trucks have been among the biggest drivers of inflation in 2021, with costs soaring 31% over the last year. New vehicles have seen a smaller gain of 11%, but the global chip shortage has left dealers struggling to restore supply. New-car buyers couldn't find cars to buy, and used-car buyers found it increasingly hard to afford them.
Relief won't come for at least a few more months, Goldman economist Spencer Hill said in a recent note. Prices for new cars "remain unsustainably low" compared to used vehicles, signaling there's "more inflation in the pipeline." Used cars from two years ago are selling for 10% more than their 2022 counterparts on average, despite having older technology and more mileage, according to the bank's analysis of Kelley Blue Book values. As such, new car prices will have to overtake used values before the market returns to pre-pandemic norms.

Used car prices will be the first to peter out, peaking in the first quarter, according to Hill, a revision from the previous forecast of price growth cresting in December. New car prices will peak in the second quarter, three months later than last projected.
Automotive categories already count for 40% of today's elevated inflation, and the longer-than-expected price surge will keep broad inflation high into 2022. The core Personal Consumption Expenditures price index — the Federal Reserve's inflation measure of choice — will now hit 3.4% in June, Hill said, up from the prior estimate of 3.25%. The measure will cool to 2.5% in December 2022, but that's still above the previous projection of 2.3% inflation.

Plenty stands in the way of a car-market cooldown​

Cooling the car markets down won't come easy. Port congestion has only marginally improved over the last month, Goldman said, signaling it could take longer to bring foreign auto supply to the US market.
The Omicron variant also adds a major risk to the supply recovery. If the variant sparks factory shutdowns in East Asian chip hubs, the rebound in car production could be further delayed. Even if semiconductor production slows half as much as it did during the Delta wave, the hit to auto manufacturing would raise new car prices as much as 2.7%, according to the bank. Used car buyers would take an even bigger hit, with values ripping another 7% to 8% higher, Hill said.
There is some good news amidst the car-price chaos, the economist added. Key semiconductor suppliers spent big building out their production capacity in the third quarter and investment levels now sit above pre-crisis levels. While it typically takes between two and three quarters for capital investment to translate to boosted chip supply, Goldman expects the capacity build-out to fuel "improved microchip availability an rising auto production" in the second half of 2022.
Relief for car shoppers is on its way, it'll just arrive later in 2022. Even then, prices have a long way to fall before nearing pre-pandemic levels.
Read the original article on Business Insider

robvas

Established Member
I want a new half ton but I won't buy one until I can get $10-12k off like usual

Established Member
I want a new half ton but I won't buy one until I can get $10-12k off like usual
So I think this is real possibility, but the MSRP that the sale will be discounted from will be a fair amount higher. 5K off 55 or 12K off 62 is still the same number out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread