Cruising to tuner after intercooler/power pipe install and IMRC delete

1AestheticCobra

Established Member
So don’t have an immediate hook up for truck/trailer so curious to know if it’d be ok to cruise my cobra to the tuner after an intercooler kit/power pipe install and IMRC delete (they were stuck closed) foiled the pcm into thinking they were there. I just installed a wideband gauge. Think as long as it’s in a fair AFR range it’d be ok? Trying to get a tuner that’s within a 30 minutes drive, but at worse 2 hour drive. Thanks.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Your tuner of choice should likely be able to send you a base tune file that'll allow you to safely drive to them if you're concerned. That's what I had to do when the KB went on, but that involved injectors, MAF, blower...etc so it was basically a "must." Have you run/driven it all? I agree that you'd be probably okay as long as you keep your foot out of it and the AFR is decent.

1AestheticCobra

Established Member
Your tuner of choice should likely be able to send you a base tune file that'll allow you to safely drive to them if you're concerned. That's what I had to do when the KB went on, but that involved injectors, MAF, blower...etc so it was basically a "must." Have you run/driven it all? I agree that you'd be probably okay as long as you keep your foot out of it and the AFR is decent.

I gotcha. Yeah that makes sense. I know the current changes will definitely throw the tune off, but not sure if it’s going to really affect the regular drivability or not. I’m going to be finishing buttoning up the intercooler kit tonight and then I will be able to see how it runs. Hopefully all goes well. I did change my MAF location and from a draw through to blow through set up as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you change the MAF diameter? If not you should be ok as long as the injectors are the same too. I moved my Lightning MAF from draw through to blow through and the car was driveable without the tune being tweaked. I still tweaked the tune eventually.

1AestheticCobra

Established Member
Did you change the MAF diameter? If not you should be ok as long as the injectors are the same too. I moved my Lightning MAF from draw through to blow through and the car was driveable without the tune being tweaked. I still tweaked the tune eventually.

no sir. I am keeping it in the 4” housing, but it will have 3” intercooler piping before and after.

decipha

Established Member
you cannot run a reducer before nor after the maf

why not keep the pipe diameter all the same siz

but yes as long as the wideband reads 1.0 meanig the o2's are controlling fuel while cruising youll be fine.

1AestheticCobra

Established Member
you cannot run a reducer before nor after the maf

why not keep the pipe diameter all the same siz

but yes as long as the wideband reads 1.0 meanig the o2's are controlling fuel while cruising youll be fine.

the housing that my MAF is in is a 4” housing and Am converting to blow through as I install the intercooler kit.

I thought I saw guys doing a similar set up. What if I I did about 4” of 4” piping prior to the MAF? Would this be enough for the MAF to get a good reading?

I’m not really trying to drop another $200 for a slot style MAF as I didn’t really plan on even doing the intercooler kit.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
It may not help you this time, but I would look at getting AAA.

The farther away from stock you go, the more opportunities you have for things to go wrong. I have a premium membership ($129/yr). I've worked on my car at the house, called AAA, and a flatbed truck take my car to the tuner/shop. I believe that I get (2 )100 mile service trips, in addition to 50 mile or less, and roadside assistance.

It's a good piece of mind, especially since I only run Hoosier drag radials and don't carry a spare.

If you use it to your advantage, you get your money back and then some.

1AestheticCobra

Established Member
It may not help you this time, but I would look at getting AAA.

The farther away from stock you go, the more opportunities you have for things to go wrong. I have a premium membership ($129/yr). I've worked on my car at the house, called AAA, and a flatbed truck take my car to the tuner/shop. I believe that I get (2 )100 mile service trips, in addition to 50 mile or less, and roadside assistance.

It's a good piece of mind, especially since I only run Hoosier drag radials and don't carry a spare.

If you use it to your advantage, you get your money back and then some.

definitely sounds like it’s worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread