Crows

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
This thread is not very encouraging.

I think I am walking into a trap of hearing "I told you so" for the foreseeable future. I will take the crows over this 1000%.

Need alts. Perhaps poison or a snare. I would get some stray cats and set them up for pest control but I don't think that will work.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I shot a crow last year while coyote hunting with my 22-250 lol
40gr hollow point moving nearly 4k at the muzzle lol...poof! Lol

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

I think I am walking into a trap of hearing "I told you so" for the foreseeable future. I will take the crows over this 1000%.

Need alts. Perhaps poison or a snare. I would get some stray cats and set them up for pest control but I don't think that will work.

I had these black vultures land on the roof of this house I was renting when I first moved to Virginia..

Turns out they’re a protected ****ing bird and super ****ing aggressive.

Definitely look up your local laws regarding trapping, poison, pest control before you start bucking shots.

Also, poison is gonna impact other wild life or possibly pets you may have.

Idk how well traps would work on Crows. Got rid of a car and a fox once with a decent trap set up crows, being so numerous, you might get 1 or 2 and then they’d probably avoid it.

If they ARE legal to shoot, a 20gauge with some bird shot chillin on the back porch might be pretty enjoyable.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member

From what I understand on here is if ya shoot them they will haunt you for years. They're smart enough so they'll stay away from the poison only thing I could say is distract them with shiny objects??

Tezz500

Established Member
From what I understand on here is if ya shoot them they will haunt you for years. They're smart enough so they'll stay away from the poison only thing I could say is distract them with shiny objects??

Watched a little Too much Hitchcock.

Adult crows have few predators—eagles, hawks, owls, and human hunters—with humans being their main predator.

Looks like you can dust them in season.
Anytime if you can prove they’re a nuisance/health risk

03/1/23 - 03/31/23 Crow Statewide
09/1/23 - 10/31/23 Crow Statewide
12/15/23 - 01/15/24 Crow Statewide

@Klaus

Minnesota has crow hunting seasons. These are opportune times to reduce local resident population levels. To find out when the season is, refer to the Hunting and Trapping Seasons calendar.

These birds are difficult to hunt due to their wariness; however, electronic calls or sounds and decoys can be utilized when hunting. Great horned owl calls are very effective in luring crows within shooting range, as these avian predators will cause crows to mob the area from which the sound is being emitted. Owl decoys may also be used in conjunction with the calls to induce this mobbing behavior, thereby increasing hunter success.

No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset.

Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.

Lethal means of control can also be undertaken when they are concentrated in large numbers, such as communal roosts, and subsequently constitute a nuisance (e.g. noise) or pose a threat to human health, as would be the case when accumulations of fecal materials pose a sanitation risk. Legal methods of take are the same as during hunting seasons. Crows cannot be taken outside of the damage area.

Last edited:

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member

Adult crows have few predators—eagles, hawks, owls, and human hunters—with humans being their main predator.

Looks like you can dust them in season.

03/1/23 - 03/31/23 Crow Statewide
09/1/23 - 10/31/23 Crow Statewide
12/15/23 - 01/15/24 Crow Statewide

@Klaus

Minnesota has crow hunting seasons. These are opportune times to reduce local resident population levels. To find out when the season is, refer to the Hunting and Trapping Seasons calendar.

These birds are difficult to hunt due to their wariness; however, electronic calls or sounds and decoys can be utilized when hunting. Great horned owl calls are very effective in luring crows within shooting range, as these avian predators will cause crows to mob the area from which the sound is being emitted. Owl decoys may also be used in conjunction with the calls to induce this mobbing behavior, thereby increasing hunter success.

No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset.

Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.

Lethal means of control can also be undertaken when they are concentrated in large numbers, such as communal roosts, and subsequently constitute a nuisance (e.g. noise) or pose a threat to human health, as would be the case when accumulations of fecal materials pose a sanitation risk. Legal methods of take are the same as during hunting seasons. Crows cannot be taken outside of the damage area.
Thanks @Tezz500

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Ya well, when I saw this scene from The Birds movie at less than 10, it left a lasting impression - lol.

15B3F4DE-ABCE-4B9A-B85B-90ADFEA32784.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Cliffs:
- According to Professor John Marzluff at the University of Washington's Aviation Conservation Lab, a crow is essentially a flying monkey. Whether it's a friendly monkey or more like a fiend from "The Wizard of Oz" depends a lot on what you've done to the crow (or any of its friends).
- They Recognize Human Faces.
- They Talk About You to Other Crows.
- They remember what you did.
- They Use Tools and Solve Problems.
- Crows plan for the future. So Klaus may wanna add an employee to his team - lol.
- They Adapt to New Situations.
- They understand analogies.
- They Can Outsmart Your Pets (Maybe).
- Key Points:
- Scientists compare the intelligence of crows to that of a seven-year-old human child.
- Crows, ravens, and other corvids are the only non-primates that make tools.
- Crows are capable of abstract reasoning, complex problem-solving, and group decision-making.

Source:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member

What’s wrong with an air rifle, relatively quite. I’ve popped a few nuisance critters from inside the house with one.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tezz500

Established Member
What’s wrong with an air rifle, relatively quite. I’ve popped a few nuisance critters from inside the house with one.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Crows are pretty big. Idk how well single Pellets or BBs would do. Plus you’d need to get rather close. Get them clustered together and drop some bird shot on there ass probably get a few per pop.

Users who are viewing this thread