Crossing over to the dark side...

C5DEMON

Hey guys! I am a former C5 owner (modded) which I traded for my current 04 350Z- and I gotta be honest, its just not doing it for me. After visiting my local ford dealership, I am really liking the stang. Although I am considering another vette (01)- I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with! Perhaps show me why I should go ford instead!

In the mustang community, which is reguarded as better? 03 Cobra or 03 Saleen S281?

If you only did three mods to your cobra, what three would they be? Best power combo? Best performance combo?

Would I be flamed if I put a roush body/exhaust kit on a 03/04 cobra? I love the roush kit on stang, but I love the price/power of the new cobras. Can I have the best of both worlds?

Thank you for helping out a straight up newbie!!

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
the 03/04 Cobra gets a great deal of respect, most people see the s-281 as just a supercharged gt because it pretty much is......

as far as basic mods, if you wanted to stay very conservative you could to a catback, cold air kit, and a shifter. Or get a little more aggressive and do a chip/pulley along with the previously mentioned mods, just really depends on what kinda power you want and how much you are looking to spend

ROUSHRAVEN has pics on this site of his 03 sonic blue cobra with full roush kit, search for the pics

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
Not really a power combo but the three mods i like the best are the borla stinger, FIPK and my MGW short shifter they really make the car feel alot better.

Hye

Established Member
04cobratorchred said:
Not really a power combo but the three mods i like the best are the borla stinger, FIPK and my MGW short shifter they really make the car feel alot better.

top that off with some hans subframe connectors and your all set :beer:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
You will not be disappointed. Coming from a C5 you have to expect build quality to be that of a mustang, because it is, but the power and handling is not disappointing at all.
You wouldn't be flamed at all for the side exhaust, just make sure you have no plans to lower the car at all because the clearance may become an issue.
Best three power mods would be catback exhaust, pulley/tune(they go hand in hand) and cai. But you can get a little crazier than that for minimal cost.

Screamin'SVT

Banned
03 Cobra is generally regarded as more capable because it is. Saleens are nice cars but they are basically a blown GT motor, and it will never have the potential that the 03 Cobra motor does. 3 mods I would do pulley, catback, and cai with a good tune. Those are my only power mods and I'm putting down 458rwhp 485rwtq. If you like the Roush kit, do it. I definately wouldn't flame you, and I don't think anyone else would either.

roushterminator.jpg

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
The cobra 4v engine will run circles around any other mustang engine (GT, any of the saleens or rousch's).

Best 3 mods would be:

K&N FIPK
Billetflow pulley (and the idler and a tune..I look at this all as one mod)
Some type of catback

The cobra is fast enough as it is..with those mods you'd be able to beat all but the most heavily modded street cars.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
C5DEMON said:
Hey guys! I am a former C5 owner (modded) which I traded for my current 04 350Z- and I gotta be honest, its just not doing it for me. After visiting my local ford dealership, I am really liking the stang. Although I am considering another vette (01)- I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with! Perhaps show me why I should go ford instead!

In the mustang community, which is reguarded as better? 03 Cobra or 03 Saleen S281?

If you only did three mods to your cobra, what three would they be? Best power combo? Best performance combo?

Would I be flamed if I put a roush body/exhaust kit on a 03/04 cobra? I love the roush kit on stang, but I love the price/power of the new cobras. Can I have the best of both worlds?

Thank you for helping out a straight up newbie!!

well.. if your going for a Saleen Vs 03 Cobra.. I'd definitely say the only HP comparable one is the S281e.. (or a S281 Cobra, which is a Saleen modified 03/04 Cobra keeping stock engine but suspension mods and a body kit)

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Get the Cobra, you won't regret it.

Shouldn't this thread be titled "crossing over from the dark side instead?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I think what you want is a Roush Cobra, there are several of them around the country still on the lots. They are cheaper than stage 3 roushes as well. In my opinoon it would not be recieved that well if you put a roush kit on a cobra.The cobra has such nice clean lines it would be a shame to mess up that sophistication with a ricey body kit, which I think both saleens and roushes are, ricey, but thats just me , I guess I am getting old or something.

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
C5DEMON said:

Welcome to the board.

Roush body kit :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl:

C5DEMON

Thanks for all of the replies! I have found several cobras and a few saleens. I just like the saleen because its unique. I still haven't driven either, but I am all about more power and more reliability. Is there any benefits or down falls to the anniversary addition? There is a black 03 anniversary cobra for a really good price locally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread