Cross shopping Charger HC RE WB v G80 M3 stick

patc84

Established Member
I was under the impression the 5.5l was a better motor? What's your impression of the M279?

The M157 engine 5.5L was the prev generation amg engine- the motor is extremely sensitive to fuel quality, rods are a weak point, timing components as well. Main bearings would go to shit also b/c of the ECO (start/stop) feature.

The new AMG engine the M177/178 4.0L is far more superior and robust. Have not seen many issues with those and they have been out since 2015. They are also a Hot V setup. Not sensitive to fuel quality.

Regarding the M279 thats a good engine. They have commonly failed parts such as intercooler pump, they eat spark plugs (2x per cyl), coil packs go bad, spark plug ignitors go bad as well.

My94GT

Established Member
The redeye is just great looking sedan with 800hp for under 80k.
The 63 GT S ran laguna seca in 1.36.26.
That is certainly a stout time but if you’ve been on a road course before you should know very well that you’ll push something to a fraction of its limit on the street and are generally confined to working it differently due to inability to properly sweep through turns due to lane position and traffic vs an open course even with others out there

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That is certainly a stout time but if you’ve been on a road course before you should know very well that you’ll push something to a fraction of its limit on the street and are generally confined to working it differently due to inability to properly sweep through turns due to lane position and traffic vs an open course even with others out there
No way I’m pushing that. I just want a family vehicle that is fun in the corners. Preferably bigger than my old fiesta st which was a blast to drive!

Users who are viewing this thread