Cricket noise at idle

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Two very weird things have happened with my car in the last two days.

Yesterday after lunch I had half a tank of gas. When I went out to leave after work, I had less than 1/8 tank?? I get pretty bad gas mileage, but not standing still!
This morning I planned to get gas on the way to work, but when I fired up the car, half a tank again. :??:

On the way to work this morning the car seemed sluggish. I just figured it was the humidity. However after I pulled into the parking spot I hear this "cricket" noise coming from under the hood on the drivers side. Not one cricket, but a swarm of them. I've never heard that sound before.

It did the same thing tonight when I got home. I had my husband listen to make sure I wasn't going nuts. He said maybe it's a vacuum leak??

I know my car and the sounds it makes. It is down on power and something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

:shrug:
Tracy

Cobra'03

Established Member
Down on power in-boost, off-boost, or both? It sounds like a belt is slipping, perhaps the tensioner. I ask about boost because if it is SC belt, you would lose power in boost, but not off. Have it checked.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
It's definately down on power in boost.
As for out of boost, :shrug:, I don't know. I can't seem to go a block with out it. :rolleyes: I've already forgotten what a NA car feels like.

Don't worry Jim, I won't take it near Northside. ;-) I still haven't had a chance to get to that CD, but I will, I promise.

I almost forgot one more thing...there is a TON of thick dust behind the snout.

Tracy

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Don't worry Jim, I won't take it near Northside. ;-) I still haven't had a chance to get to that CD, but I will, I promise.
No rush :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread