Crazy Squealing (TOB Seized)

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I parked my car yesterday - it had 50,999.9 miles on the Odometer. It had been chattering for a little while, but I didn't think much of it since it wasn't squealing, nor has the clutch been slipping or anything. Well, when I started it back up to go to the bank, it started squealing like crazy.

As I drove it down the street - it would settle down a little, but then squeal again like crazy each time I made a shift. For this reason, I believe the TOB is to blame. I really would have thought a belt driven pulley seized instead otherwise.

I went ahead an purchased a SPEC 2 clutch, new flywheel (just in case), and Ford Racing TOB. My father in law should be here tomorrow to assist in doing the swap.

Anyways - I don't think anybody has recorded this dreadful noise, so as I was positioning the Cobra in the garage (pulling it out in this case) - getting it ready to do the clutch swap - I thought I'd make a little recording for all to enjoy.

Turn down the volume... it is loud.....
[youtube_browser]XjOvgJ5Jp1o[/youtube_browser]

"Didn't that sound great? I don't think anything is wrong with it".... ;)

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Sounds just like my TOB when it gave out.

^^ Yup! ^^

it is your TOB for sure. the next step after this one (if you were to keep driving it) will be a constant squeel like that 24/7....regardless if the clutch is pressed in or not. and THEN if you KEEP driving it, then next step will be the noise will finally stop...but the clutch wont work anymore. haha. ask me how i know.

oh yeah....and be ready to chase/pick up scattered bearings when you drop the tranny and the TOB bearings come pouring out. haha. that is exactly what mine did, a few years back, before i put my ProMotion clutch in.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Now that sounds f'en awful...change that puppy out and adjust it right or your next FR TOB with a Spec Clutch will sound like that again in less than 200 miles. Ask me how I know lol

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Now that sounds f'en awful...change that puppy out and adjust it right or your next FR TOB with a Spec Clutch will sound like that again in less than 200 miles. Ask me how I know lol

What adjustments are you referring to? I mean - let me ask - how do you know?

KILRSVT

Established Member
Do you have an adjustable clutch quadrant ??? My TOB blew up took out my clutch as well as soon as the bell housing came out a bunch of TOB parts scattered everywhere

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I got lucky, the TOB was barely intact when I removed the transmission. I ended up running out of time - so I ended up only changing the TOB after all.

When we removed the transmission, I put my hand on the TOB to feel how well it was spinning, and it literally fell apart in my hand. I had to pry the clutch fork off - that was fun. The TOB was stuck on the retaining sleeve - frozen in place (that's what it slides back and forth on, right?). I polished the retaining sleeve as best I could and just put it back together. The new TOB slides back and forth real smoothly across the entire range the clutch fork has. I wish I could have swapped out the clutch and all, but it was late and I really need the car to get to work (I really need to get to bed instead up updating SVTP is what I really need to do... LOL).

The Squeal (and chatter that I had before that) are completely gone. The clutch was never really slipping, and it still isn't. I did the 4th gear pull and the revs never did jump up any.

I had to take my father in law back home, so that was my test drive. It drove well - no new vibrations or anything odd to speak of.

I'll be heading back to Dallas Mustang now for a refund on clutch kit and flywheel. I'm really glad I purchased the FR TOB.

I actually still have the stock quadrant. I've been thinking of upgrading though.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I wish I had thought to purchase a new sleeve. The sleeve felt smooth to the touch, and looked smooth as well.

Just for fun, here is the old TOB:
292453_4301235411397_1463601578_n.jpg

I think I was fortunate that it didn't fall apart inside the transmission.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
haha there are a couple of those bearings that i mentioned you;d prob have to pick up off the floor. looks like there are definitely a few missing.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I actually still have the stock quadrant. I've been thinking of upgrading though.

that would be a worthwhile upgrade! highly recommended

I wish I had thought to purchase a new sleeve. The sleeve felt smooth to the touch, and looked smooth as well.

it isn't so much as the condition of the stock sleeve, they are stamped steel and prone to cracking off at the base. there was even a tsb from ford about it. going to an aftermarket sleeve would be a wise choice.

best of luck with it!

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I did not realize changing the sleeve was a strength related issue. The message as I understood it on the Video in the TOB replacement thread was to inspect it. If it looked good then leave it alone - if it was scored to replace it. Well - now I know for next time.

I don't know how long this fix will last (hopefully another 50,999.9 miles). When it starts acting up again, I'll have all the components replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread