Crankshaft pulley wobbling?

BigBart33

Established Member
Hey all, I noted a knocking sound in my engine bay and when I went to take a look I saw my crankshaft pulley wobbling all over the place and a loose bolt in the bracket right behind said pulley. I tightened the bolt and put loctite on it but the pulley is still wobbling, and I believe the knocking sound is the pulley hitting the bracket behind it as it spins.

Here’s a video:
It’s tough to see down there at night so guess I’m wondering the best next step and what caused it (I think the loose bolt threw the bracket off and then the pulley bearing went bad). Do I just replace the whole pulley or is there something that can be tightened up or a bearing to replace?

03' White Snake

Established Member
There are bushings on the pulley that are bad. Some try to rebuild them. Most swap to a metco lower pulley and replace the entire assembly.

hotcobra03

Established Member
It's beyond the bushings,

My pulley only moved forward and backwards ..

Side to side its a bad bearing or main bolt is damaged.

The bearing is a common stock item. But is staked over ,it can be replaced but not a 2 minute job.

I went metco. After a few tries.
Of bushing and making larger post for bushing..

BigBart33

Established Member
Got it, thank you. Is there any alternative to the Metco kit that doesn’t have the crank idler relocation kit? Since I already have that installed. Like just the crank pulley? Guess I could just sell the relocation kit once I get the pulley.

All I see are OE crank pulleys, Metco kits, and LFP kits.

Edit: looks like I can just buy the parts individually or get the Lightning kit.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Got it, thank you. Is there any alternative to the Metco kit that doesn’t have the crank idler relocation kit? Since I already have that installed. Like just the crank pulley? Guess I could just sell the relocation kit once I get the pulley.

Edit: looks like I can just buy the parts individually or get the Lightning kit.

Post up a wanted thread,
Sure their are some used ones,

I stumble on them while reading ..

03' White Snake

Established Member

Or you can get an (IW) Innovators West Dampener and bolt just the metco lower rings onto it. That is what I just recently bought for my car. Very nice piece IMO.

02E37CB6-9BD4-400F-B478-6CAE06DB6B6D.jpeg

BigBart33

Established Member
Well a month later I finally have my new lower pulley from LFP (PSA LFP will tell you your order is going to be shipped that week 3 weeks in a row).

It seems like a quality part. But unfortunately not issue-free, it seems. The alternator pulley is out of alignment. Like way out of alignment. I didn't notice it at first and now I have a shredded belt and a sliced power steering hose. Seems this happens a lot with the Metco and LFP piece from what I have read on here and they recommend to shim the alt bracket out.

However, I am nervous about how much I need to shim it out. It looks like it needs a solid half an inch. Also, my alt pulley almost looks slightly crooked but it's hard to tell because the alt is crooked as well. So, 1. anyone with either the LFP or Metco 4lb lower who had to shim their alternator bracket remember how much space they had to add? 2. Is it possible the alt pulley shaft is bent if the pulley still spins straight with no rubbing, etc.? I will know the answer to that once I get the alt all straightened out. It's a Mechman alternator.

P.S. anyone know the diameter of the power steering reservoir to pump rubber hose? lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread