Cranks and stops suddenly

5.0GT

Established Member
Hello,

The car cranks strong then stops like I turned the switch off.

Sorry for the vertical video

The car was on jacks for a month or so. I removed the plugs, replaced the seats and was about to change the pan then I left it. I checked the plug connections, check and charged the battery and checked the grounds.

Any ideas?
Can someone list the grounds locations for me to check.
Is the voltage normal in the gauge when it's cranking I forgot how it used to act.

basspro302

Established Member
If you can pull codes or see if it has any. I would pull a coil out and check to see if its sparking with a spark tester also check to see if its firing the injectors. It could be alot of things I would suspect a crank sensor but im not sure if it will only crank like that if it doesn’t see any rpm signal.

First thing to do tho is see if you have any codes. You can get an obd code reader for cheap. I would get one that can display data if you can

5.0GT

Established Member
If you can pull codes or see if it has any. I would pull a coil out and check to see if its sparking with a spark tester also check to see if its firing the injectors. It could be alot of things I would suspect a crank sensor but im not sure if it will only crank like that if it doesn’t see any rpm signal.

First thing to do tho is see if you have any codes. You can get an obd code reader for cheap. I would get one that can display data if you can

First thing I did is check for code, there's none
Could the anti-theft system be the problem?

I think it would give a code if it's not sparking and it would continue to crank and not just stop right away, am I wrong? I never had a spark issue.
I had a fuel issue before and it would just keep cranking without starting

I didn't touch the crank sensor and it was fine. Before I jacked the car.

5.0GT

Established Member
Could removing the seats and other interior panels have an affect because I replace the seats. And I'm out of ideas for now

lshin037

Established Member
Had a similar problem just recently. My car would not turn over. The only difference was it would act like it was going to start, then died. Thought it was the anti-theft system, bad key fob, etc.. No codes either.

Did you mess with the MAF sensor or, if you're boosted, maybe loosen one of the couplings? Can you hear the fuel pump priming? Im boosted on a centri and my issue was a loose coupling on the elbow between the MAF sensor tube and the TB. Try checking the MAF sensor (make sure it's clean and connector plugged in) and, if you're boosted, make sure there are no loose couplings. If you're not boosted, make sure there are no vacuum leaks.

5.0GT

Established Member
I forgot to plug the MAF once and it would idle like it has a giant cam then shut down. I'm suspecting an injector flooding a cylinder or something like that. I'll pull the plugs and crank it and see how it sounds, but I'm trying to finish another car at the moment. I'll mess with it next week and give an update

Had a similar problem just recently. My car would not turn over. The only difference was it would act like it was going to start, then died. Thought it was the anti-theft system, bad key fob, etc.. No codes either.

Did you mess with the MAF sensor or, if you're boosted, maybe loosen one of the couplings? Can you hear the fuel pump priming? Im boosted on a centri and my issue was a loose coupling on the elbow between the MAF sensor tube and the TB. Try checking the MAF sensor (make sure it's clean and connector plugged in) and, if you're boosted, make sure there are no loose couplings. If you're not boosted, make sure there are no vacuum leaks.

basspro302

Established Member
Find out if its sparking when it’s cranking over pull a coil out and grab a spark checker and report back.

When the engine is cranking over does the check engine light stay on or turn off

Im not sure what the theft system disables on this car but usually with ford the theft light will flash rapidly if there is an issue. I can look it up if i get some time at work. Some cars like gm’s will start then stall because the car kills the fuel pump if there is an issue with theft.

I cant help you out and point you in a direction if you cant at least see if its firing the coils.

5.0GT

Established Member
Find out if its sparking when it’s cranking over pull a coil out and grab a spark checker and report back.

When the engine is cranking over does the check engine light stay on or turn off

Im not sure what the theft system disables on this car but usually with ford the theft light will flash rapidly if there is an issue. I can look it up if i get some time at work. Some cars like gm’s will start then stall because the car kills the fuel pump if there is an issue with theft.

I cant help you out and point you in a direction if you cant at least see if its firing the coils.

Thanks for the offer to help. My thought is it would continue to crank if there's no spark, right? The car cranks twice and stops. It'll continue to crank if I hold the switch on start.

I'm racing time to finish another car for a competition so I won't be able to check for another week. I'll get back to you once I'm able to check it.

Users who are viewing this thread