crank the boost up or go with bigger blower?

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
03 mach1 with fully intercooled 2.1 K.B. setup. i am finally able to crank the boost up. To do so i will have to convert over my accessories to an 8 rib belt setup. My question is would it be more effective to swap over pullies and crank up a 2.1? Or, should i sell this blower convert the front cover and accessory drive to a terminator setup and buy my friends 2.8H? I really want to beat the snot out of a local guy with a 3.4 whippled cobra and a couple of turbo'd LSXmotord Rx-7's. I'm not sure that i can beat them h.p. wise with this 2.1, but i can out drive them for sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Has anybody went full effort with a 2.1 on a 4 valve yet? Does anybody think that i should crank up the 2.1 and then spray a 50-75 shot?

Thanks!:burnout:

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
do you have a forged motor, if not i would keep the 2.1. if you have a forged motor and you want to keep up with those big whipple cars you will need a bigger blower. or you can pulley up the 2.1 and spray nitrous.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The 2.1 with nitrous would be a wicked car. Although I'm not sure how well the belt on that blower will hold up running 20# and the 6 rib drive. You might have massive belt slip problems.

To be honest, if you want to take on 3.4 Whippled cars and turboed Rx-7's with LSX swaps your best best is to sell the KB set up and go turbo. I'm sure you heard this before but I will say it again.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
The 2.1 with nitrous would be a wicked car. Although I'm not sure how well the belt on that blower will hold up running 20# and the 6 rib drive. You might have massive belt slip problems.

To be honest, if you want to take on 3.4 Whippled cars and turboed Rx-7's with LSX swaps your best best is to sell the KB set up and go turbo. I'm sure you heard this before but I will say it again.

If i keep the 2.1 it will be converted over to an 8 rib pulley. I'm talking about racing from a dig. All of the above cars have lots of money in motors, but nothing in suspension. I can give up some h.p. since i make up for it in suspension.

Slug Bitch Racing - 8 - Rib Conversion Part #s and Cost

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
If i keep the 2.1 it will be converted over to an 8 rib pulley. I'm talking about racing from a dig. All of the above cars have lots of money in motors, but nothing in suspension. I can give up some h.p. since i make up for it in suspension.

Slug Bitch Racing - 8 - Rib Conversion Part #s and Cost

With a twin screw and nitrous you can make 700 rwhp and equal if not more torque. If you can get it to hook it will be a formidable combo.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Its personal opinion if its good or not, but i'm running a full MM rear suspension. torque arm, panhard bar, extreme hd adjustable lca's, mm FLSFC's and a built SRA with gear. If i can't get it to hook, i'm doing something really wrong, cause it hooks hard core right now on little cheapo 275 MT's. I have been doing digs with evo's this summer if that tells you anything.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
That 2.1 Kenne Bell is too small for what your looking for. It runs out of steam when you close in on the 600 horsepower mark. Then after you have heat soaked it trying to push 20 lbs. of boost you'll lose another 75 horsepower.

BM1

Established Member
This is all assuming you have at least forged rods and pistons...

Have you considered switching to a centrifugal type blower instead of a screw type? They work great when paired with a methanol injection kit meaning big power on pump gas. Vortech YSi and Procharger F1A are great street blowers that will make all the power you want for a street car.

Turbo is an option too if you don't mind dealing with the cost or hassle associated with most of the kits out there.

Last edited:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
That 2.1 Kenne Bell is too small for what your looking for. It runs out of steam when you close in on the 600 horsepower mark. Then after you have heat soaked it trying to push 20 lbs. of boost you'll lose another 75 horsepower.

Weren't there quite a few guys over 600 hp with the old 2.2? this 2.1 is supposed to out perform that blower in all aspects.

scotmach

Established Member
Weren't there quite a few guys over 600 hp with the old 2.2? this 2.1 is supposed to out perform that blower in all aspects.

The 2.1 is no better than the 2.2. And remember, on a dyno pull with an ice cold motor yes you can make 600 horsepower but do a back to back pull and you'll lose 75 horsepower easy. The 2.1 heat soaks rather quickly when you start to push it close to 20 lbs. of boost which is what you need to get to the 600 mark. And did I mention belt slip?

Users who are viewing this thread