Craigslist email scammers

bumplime

Established Member
Ive had my Mustang listed on Craigslist for the last two weeks and today I got the expected scammer email. Putting it here for anyone that likes to mess with the douchebags. I'd like to but I'm far from as good as some of you at trolling them. I'm surprised that these people can still find people that fall for this crap. They even used two different email accounts, here they are:

[email protected] & [email protected]
Here is their response:
Thank you for getting back to me. Please assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to*www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon.

Send the paypal money request to*[email protected]

Thanks..

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
^This, one of the biggest known schemes that most people and the company know about but refuse to do anything about it

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
out of curiosity. What if you start an account, sell the vehicle then withdraw the money and remove the bank accounts before pay pal can take it back?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
out of curiosity. What if you start an account, sell the vehicle then withdraw the money and remove the bank accounts before pay pal can take it back?

it takes several business days before that money is available for you to withdraw...in that time they can dispute it.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I don't think that's the route they'd take. Too easy to scam them instead. I think they'd as for money in advanced or "over deposit"

horspla2000

Established Member
Long ago I sold an item on ebay as is. LONG ago. The guy bought it. Got it then got buyers remorse. I told him too bad, I said as is, no buyers remores, you bid you buy. If you cannot accept that don't bid. He bid anyway. He demanded his money back. I had already spent it, plus he was just being a whining douche. About 2 weeks later I came home and it ws on my back step, UPS delivered it back. I sat it aside and expected to hear something. Then I get a notification from paypal that they took the $$ back out of my acct. Yet, there was nothing there. They gave me a negative balance. I closed the acct and said screw em. Remember this was over 10 years ago before ebay and paypal sold out and actually did business they way they should. I was never even given a chance to do or say anything. No idea how they knew he sent it back, since at that time there was no setup like there is now. I 100% believe he could have just told them he sent it back and never did and they would have never known the difference. Time went on and I never heard another thing about it...... for years. 10 years later.........yes 10 YEARS LATER, it showed up on my credit report. NEVER given a chance to dispute it, tell my side of the story etc etc. I had bought several cars, houses etc etc and it was never on my report tol 10 years later. No collection notices, no warnings, no indication of anything, whatsoever. BUT, it would catch up to you eventually.

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member

Actually you won't be the one withdrawing money from their account. They will be the ones taking your money from your account.......LOL. If you use the link they sent you, your computer becomes an open book for them. All your information will be retrieved: credit cards, bank accounts, etc... If you have money in the bank, it will be gone. By the time you realize it, it will be too late. Your computer will probably be infected with some kind of virus and these people may be located in Belarus or Russia and you can't trace them. That email was a phishing email looking for unaware individual to fall for it. These people have made millions of $$$$$ with this kind of practice.

10splaya22

Established Member
they don't send you any money usually. They send a fake email which looks like it came from them but nothing actually got sent

LS2GTO

Established Member
they don't send you any money usually. They send a fake email which looks like it came from them but nothing actually got sent

Yeah, when it's supposed to be a paypal transaction (to make people feel at ease over receiving possible fake money orders) they just create a fake looking email notification from paypal stating that you have received money.

They're banking on the fact that you will either use that fake link to try and go to paypal or that you won't actually log into paypal directly to check the account and just base your actions on the email notification. People see this fake email, think they got the payment through a safe means and then just ship out or release the item. Then when they actually log into their paypal account there is nothing there because no transaction ever happened.

Users who are viewing this thread