Craftsman vs Husky Tools

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to put a tool set in my truck and have one in my garage. I have a set of Husky tools already and have no complaints about the Husky stuff. I am just wondering should I buy Craftsman to keep in the tool cabinet since I am about to put together my engine? Or should I just stick with Husky?

“My Type-R Avalon is fast!”-Cockbruhs

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Honestly, I'd stick with Husky. Craftsman stuff isn't so great anymore. Made in CHY-NA.
Not sure about Husky's origin though either. But I've pretty much stopped buying Crafstman tools, though I did buy a Craftsman 42" rolling toolbox and the stacking chest last year.

As far as mainstream stuff at a decent price I really like my Sunex sockets. If you want to kill an entire night, day, next night... look on "Garage Journal" more info and opinions on this then you'd ever want to know.

Sunex has some cool shit, their mid-length swivel sold me. Made my life so much easier on a 99-04 mid pipe to manifold bolt.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I have some older Craftsman tools and have put the ratchets to the test and they have held up very well but as said above, they are no longer U.S. made anymore. But I don't think Husky is either so either way, China wins again.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I have some older Craftsman tools and have put the ratchets to the test and they have held up very well but as said above, they are no longer U.S. made anymore. But I don't think Husky is either so either way, China wins again.

Seems the best you can do is buy Taiwan if you're not looking to spend crazy money. Seems consensus on the tool forums Taiwan > China.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Neither.

Cheapest of the Cheap, Pittsburgh Pro is hard to beat and has a life time exchange warranty.

Something a bit nicer, can't say enough good things about Tekton. Available at your local Meijer or with fast free shipping from their online store.

Pliers are made in Michigan and most of the other stuff is Taiwan, which is an enemy to China.

I did break a ratchet, but they sent me a repair kit fast and easy.

I have some Icon now, it's shiny, but if your on a budget, it's not worth it. I'm just at a point in life that paying 3x for some bling is worth it.

TEKTON® Tools | Shop Sockets, Wrenches, Screwdrivers & Pliers

My do everything, go everywhere set.

Screenshot_20201116-162252.jpeg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Both are garbage. Husky stuff sucks. Craftsman is now owned by Stanly and is bottom tier Lowes crap to compete with Home Depot. Kobalt was much nicer.

If you just want a cheap ratchet that can be used as a hammer, get a Pittsburgh.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Neither.

Cheapest of the Cheap, Pittsburgh Pro is hard to beat and has a life time exchange warranty.

Something a bit nicer, can't say enough good things about Tekton. Available at your local Meijer or with fast free shipping from their online store.

Pliers are made in Michigan and most of the other stuff is Taiwan, which is an enemy to China.

I have some Icon now, it's shiny, but if your on a budget, it's not worth it. I'm just at a point in life that paying 3x for some bling is worth it.

View attachment 1672704
I have a few of their specialty sockets. Good stuff.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Neither.

View attachment 1672704

I have a few Tekton pieces. Sunex and Tekton are my Amazon bought Tai go to.

nickf2005

Established Member
Neither.

TEKTON Tools | Shop Sockets, Wrenches, Screwdrivers & Pliers

View attachment 1672704
Both are garbage. Husky stuff sucks. Craftsman is now owned by Stanly and is bottom tier Lowes crap to compete with Home Depot. Kobalt was much nicer.

If you just want a cheap ratchet that can be used as a hammer, get a Pittsburgh.
There's a HF 5 minutes from my house. Most tools are bought there. As you said, the hand-tool warranty is pretty solid, but I haven't had to use it.

My 1/4" drive socket set gets used about the most and it's on year 6 or 7 of semi occasional use. The 3/4" drive ratchet from AutoZone is junk comparatively. Bought it in a pinch.

The adjustable/Crescent hammers, I mean wrenches, haven't failed me yet.

The propane torch is awesome.

I struggle with giving the majority of my tool business (albeit it's not that much) to HF, knowing it's Chinese sourced, and I'm a MFG guy. However, there's just no USA brand close to quality for cost ratio.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
For me a hard brand to beat is SK, they are just hard to find and tough to get replaced.
Here's a question. If you bust a socket you replace it, strip a nut or bolt you could be in trouble. How much did you save on that cheap tool?
I have some SK quarter inch and 3/8 sockets that I’ve had since I was 18. I’m now 61, so...
Are they still around?

venmos1

Established Member
I was curious about the pittsburgh brand at hf. Can score a good set for pretty cheap. Plus their warranty is nice.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
For me a hard brand to beat is SK, they are just hard to find and tough to get replaced.
Here's a question. If you bust a socket you replace it, strip a nut or bolt you could be in trouble. How much did you save on that cheap tool?
SK is local to me (30min), once in awhile I’ll run to the scrap yard and see a pile of their “defected” chrome wrenches. Enough to make a guy cry. They don’t have the guts in the box end, and the yard won’t let you take them. Not that they are much use with one end.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
We were a distributor for them years ago when they were easier to get. They are still around but not sold in enough places.

Users who are viewing this thread