Cracked Intercooler??? Help Please

305Terminator

Established Member
Cracked Intercooler??? Help Please... Updates!!!

I was at my friends house yesterday installing my strange 10 ways in the rear. We finish up and I go start the car to take them for a spin. When I turn on the car I hear a hissing sound coming from the engine bay. I turn off the car, pop my hood and realize that it was coming from my intercooler tank (not sure what brand, its the one that goes in the battery location). The tank had no water in it or coolant, bone dry.

Anyways, I was baffled by this but I went ahead and went to go get some distilled water (walmart didn't have water wetter) to fill it up with. I get back fill the tank up and fire the car. The car idles fine for a bit and then it starts letting out white smoke from the exhaust. It starts to idle badly and the water in the intercooler tank starts disappearing (because it is now flowing through the exhaust).

Is this a sign of a cracked intercooler? What should I do to fix it? Do they sell aftermarket intercoolers (or just go OEM)?

Please Help!

Update:
***Removed intercooler and ran water through it, doesn't seem to be leaking but I am taking it to a shop tomorrow to have it pressure checked.

From what I can tell I believe the problem is the O-Rings on the 2 little cylinders that connect the pump to the intercooler. The O-rings are trashed and the cylinders wont even stay in place on the pump.

It looks like I will be ordering a new pump and o-rings (old pump looks like crap). When I get that I will change the oil in the car 3-4 times to makes sure I get all the condensation and gunk out. Then fill with Mobil 1 and brand new plugs.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Sometimes the crack can be repaired, however I would not trust a repair like that. Me personally I would go with a new OEM piece. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago and it stated these pieces are becoming tougher to get. I believe the price was $600 for a new OEM one. Try Tousely, they are one of our vendors and would give you a great price. GL!

Edit: Sorry I forgot to answer your other question, yes these symptoms point towards a cracked / leaking intercooler. The Intercooler system is a seperate system than the engine cooling system. You may have to pull it apart to be 100% sure, but if you see it coming out of the exhaust, its def. getting into the combustion chamber.

Last edited:

305Terminator

Established Member
If its cracked I would buy a new one, I wont trust a weld on a cracked unit. Also, how would I flush out the water from my exhaust system?

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
It could be the o-ring or a crack.
i have a repaired intercooler on my Cobra and its fine....just make sure to pressure test before re-installing.

Was it stored in the winter somewhere it got below freezing?

305Terminator

Established Member
Not stored in the winter at all. I normally run distilled water and water wetter because I live in Miami, Fl and the last thing I worry about here is cold days.

lxhatch302

Established Member
Just an FYI for EVERYONE...

The intercoolers are a piece made by HoneyWell(before you even SAY its garret look at the bottom of the core in lil letters it says HoneyWell)...

These intercooler are actually oil coolers for air planes and deal with way more stress and heat than what we put them through. They are repaired all the time anything from a busted tank or a busted tube....I work in a Machine Shop that build's coolers for aircrafts and this is one thing we've repaired/built...

So to answer your question YES it can be fixed by a quailty welder who knows what theyre doing...i busted mine and had it fixed at work but had a spare already...its FS if you want it

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
I have a cracked intercooler as of this weekend. Intercoolers from Tousely and LFP are on back order (3-5 weeks) and the cost anywhere from $600 at LFP, $659 at Tousley up to $900 elsewhere!

hotcobra03

Established Member
i remember the first time i took ic off to clean...

we didnt replace the o-rings...it leaked and smoked

i now always replace orings...

for the cost and time i would try o rings before anything..

was any water found in oil?

ive seen some messy intakes after cooler leak..i thought it would get sucked out also..picture proved me wrong...ill see if i can locate the pic..i think it was on this site..

here pic
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/545841-well-my-car-down-count-long.html

Last edited:

305Terminator

Established Member
Im removing the blower as I type this and I am attempting to remove my belt but apparently my tensioner is frozen and doesn't want to move....

lxhatch302 you have a pm

Sanchez209

Established Member
I have an Intercooler leak. But do I have to remove the intercooler to pressure test it? And where are the o-rings located? I'm new to this

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Sounds like u you have it figured out. I have seen those "cylinder o rings" fail before, and the tell tale sign is the hissing coming from the ic tank. It is being pressureized by the super charger as I understand it and it was not designed for that. Make sure you lube those o-rings a but if u replace them so they don't tear going in. Hope all goes well

Users who are viewing this thread