CP-E/JPC Fuel Hat Triple pump setup for 2003-2004 Cobra

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Terminator1.jpg

Terminator2.jpg

Terminator3.jpg

tophats.jpg

Check it out! What do you guys think? This is our latest addition to our fuel hat line up.

Now you have a choice you can run 2 or 3 pumps with this setup! If you read our thread on the heat testing we just did you can see there are some benifits to running 3 342s over dual 400s. However if two pumps is your thing no problems with this setup you have a choice.

Thanks for looking guys feel free to post up any questions i will do my best to answer. We should have pricing on this with in a week or so.

:beer:

gabe1530

Banned
those look good. i looked for your other thread on the heat testing you mentioned and it must be on another forum.

edit: nevermind, its under a different screen name.

Last edited:

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
very nice ...... like I posted on another thread, the way you guys did the return is very nice. The fitting on my hat hit the tank and i had to grind a little, it sucked.

Last edited:

mustangcobratim

wannatry?
Established Member
Excellent info. I am looking to start collecting the stuff to switch over to e85! Any pricing on your hat? Please let me know the price when you have it!

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
I'll get with the CP-E Dudes and see what they have come up with. I have been doing a lot of the testing/feedback for this hat.

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
Are the hats available yet? If so, how much? I'm planning to start building my fuel system tomorrow.

Thanks,
Carl

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Are the hats available yet? If so, how much? I'm planning to start building my fuel system tomorrow.

Thanks,
Carl

Yes they are available, I can price you a whole system to fit your needs if you like. Shoot me a PM for what your looking for and i can get all together

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
no problems with fuel running up the wires? or fuel smell coming through the grommet? that is the only thing i do not like about the hat.

Inside the grommet is a special sealant to keep fuel and fumes from escaping the tank.

It's the same as we use on our 2005+ fuel systems were the hat is accessible from the cabin and haven't had any issues with fuel splatter or fumes.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
Josh and Anthony at CP-E wanted me to post up my experience on the installation since I was in from the initial stages until now, it's release. I still have not had a chance to start and tune the car due to work and still waiting on some final fabrication. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

In general, the hat fits perfectly...very tight with 3 x 400 pumps but it fits! It looks good, its functional and it looks like a well thought out product. When I installed mine, I used an 8-Pin Deutsch connector, because of its size, you have to put it in a certain spot so it doesn't get squashed. I recommended a bit longer wires to allow the installer to move it to a better spot rather than right on top of the hat. When you order your hat, be sure to let the supplier know which pumps you plan on running so they can use the correct harness for those pumps.

As far as the install goes....man, with 3 x Wally 400 series pumps, this thing is tighter than a squirrel's a$$!! Aside from all the standard steps from dropping the tank to the installation of the CP-E TopHat, there really isn't a "you have to install it this way" procedure. I'll tell you what I did.

NOTE: I COMPLETED THE INSTALL WITH MY TANK COMPLETELY OUT OF THE CAR AND DRY.

1. Install included O-ring barbs in underside of hat. If using less than three pumps, use the included O-ring plugs for the unused ports.

2. Install the included submersible fuel hose and clamp on barbs. Tighten clamp at the top of the hat and slip the other clamp over the bottom end of the hose. This will be used to secure the hose to the pump outlet.

3. Lightly oil pump holder O-rings to ease installation of pumps. This will also ensure you do not tear the O-rings. Slide pumps partially through the bottom of the pump holder, attach connectors and then slide pumps in all the way. Ensure they are clocked correctly to slide into the previously installed fuel hose. Tighten the clamp to secure the fuel hose to the pump outlets.

4. Install included pump pre-filters. Ensure they are grouped closely enough to fit through the tank opening. ****MY NOTE: I had two of the soft style pre-filters (that normally come with the Wally 255s) handy and they fit better with the two of them and one of the ones CP-E supplies.****

5. Connect Fuel Level Sender SIGNAL and GROUND wires to fuel level sender. DO NOT secure fuel level sender to hat at this time. Also, remove fuel level sender arm from the sender itself. This will be reinstalled after the hat is put through the tank opening.

Here's where it gets tricky....

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL THE FUEL HAT SEAL AT THIS POINT. IT WILL BE FALLING OUT OF POSITION AS YOU ARE INSTALLING THE HAT. ONCE THE HAT IS INSTALLED, YOU CAN INSTALL THE SEAL OVER THE TOP OF THE HAT AND THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE THE SEAL.

NOTE: JUST A REMINDER THAT MY INSTALLATION IS WITH 3 X WALLY 400 PUMPS. WITH 3 X 255 WALLYS (OR SIMILAR SIZED PUMPS) OR 2 X 400 WALLYS, THE INSTALLATION IS SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER.

6. Install hat into tank with the hat FEED and Return ports facing you. With your LEFT hand holding the hat halfway inside the tank, use your RIGHT hand to snake the sender arm through the tank opening to the RIGHT side of the hat. Ensure that once it is in, it is in the correct position inside the tank so as to move freely and give a correct reading for fuel level. This step may take a few minutes to accomplish as it is a very tight fit. DO NOT GET IMPATIENT!!!

7. Once the arm is installed, reattach it to the fuel level sender and ensure that it snaps into place and then secure the fuel level sender to the hat using the included bolts.

8. Install the fuel hat seal over the top of the hat. Before doing this, you will need to snip the skinny section off the locator nubs down to right before it tapers out. This will ensure that the seal sits flush with the underside of the hat and makes a good seal with the tank.

9. Install the included six bolts and tighten in a star pattern until snug.

10. Pick up tank and flip over back and forth and listen for the sender arm movement. If you DO NOT hear the sender arm hit the top and bottom of the tank, you may need to go back to Step 6 and reattempt install.

11. If sender arm moves freely, you can install and tighten the FEED and RETURN ORB fittings (I recommended they include these) and attach a connector of your choice and make all necessary electrical connections for pump operation.

There were really no good camera angles and the pictures cant really tell you anything. You absolutely need two hands to install the hat!! the pics above are actually mine that I sent to CP-E after my evaluation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread