Coyotes leaking water on floorboard????

slow06

Established Member
Anyone else having problems with the 5.0 leaking water into the car? Driver front and back floor seems to be getting damp.

My car has been at the dealership twice in 2 months for this problem. In October my car was at the dealership for this problem. First time, a seal in the Firewall was not sealed correctly. Carpet was pulled and dried, FW was resealed.

Over the next 2 months the car had a musty smell, kinda like a wet fart. I checked the carpet last Thursday and it was damp. Took it to the dealership and they are ordering new carpet, but now they also found 2 body plugs that were leaking. They said if it leaks again they will have to have a Ford engineer come down and figure out what is going on. Just wanted to see if I was the only one with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Car is a 2012 5.0 with 19k miles on it. Bone stock.

N20D5OH

Established Member
You know, I swear my car smells moldy after it rains but I haven't been able to pinpoint it. It seems like it's wet on the foot rest next to the clutch but it's usually raining and of course it does. The worst part for me is I got rid of my '11 Explorer Limited because it was leaking like a sieve and Ford was giving me the run around among many other people around the country with the same problem.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I love how ASE mechs. need engineers to solve leaking issues. Remove body panels and find it yourself, this has been a problem with the S197 since 2005, so nothing new here.

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
Mine was leaking on pass side... Dealership said my uca and lca's pulled the seam apart... They sealed it and charged me $700... Car hasn't been driven in rain since, underlay was soaked through and had a puddle on the floor, it's back at the dealership and under garden hoses on a 15% grade (simulate driveway) trying to find the leak, I checked the regular s197 leak spots and couldn't find it myself

grnenvy

Established Member
Finding your problem isn't going to be easy. I have had cars come in at the dealership with water issue's and the best way to figure it out is pull the interior and carpet and put the car under the hose. Water leaks Sucks.
Good luck

D.T.R

Established Member
Local 5.0 that doesn't get on here had the same issue. Something not sealing right at the firewall she was told... she had to go back 3 times for the same issue. Looks like this time they figured it out...

slow06

Established Member
Stopped by ford earlier today, they have the inside of the car gutted out. Passenger side had a leak, body plug was not sealed correct. They put a hose on the car and took it through the dealer car wash and found it. Carpet should be delivered Wednesday, they have the car sitting outside while we have some small rain, to see if anything else is leaking. I did manage to get a pics of this though. The owner of Charlotte Motor speedway and Town and country fords. Ford GT. Hearing the car cranked up in person is awesome.

1483427_764751573540128_559842288_n.jpg

1461572_764751540206798_1841761746_n.jpg

331232ea-a4e0-4772-9a61-fd29b1c94956.jpg

1488089_764751650206787_303108943_n.jpg

1451562_764751623540123_1634810550_n.jpg

chancejat

Established Member
yeah my 13 auto was leaking driver side floorboard...got it fixed by dealer no probs since.

87hatchy

Established Member
Anyone have a pic or able to explain exactly where on the firewall this leak comes from? I havent experienced it personally, at least not yet (my car rarely gets driven in the rain), but i would like to check and potentially prevent it from ever happening in the first place....

beef97

Established Member
I also saw a few drops of water on the passenger side after washing the car.....didn't know if I had brought it in myself with wet shoes or not.....guess it's another gremlin that we're all imagining like the noise from the lca??

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
On the older ones (05-10) down here because we do get some heavy rain, we see this a lot. Their is a rubber type plug on the passenger side firewall next to the battery that drains the water underneath the vehicle that gets clogged up. When this happens, we usually see the passenger side floor turn into a lake. Take a few minutes to pop it out and clean it. By cleaning it I mean pull out road crap, leaves, twigs, ect.... I have not seen it on newer ones.... yet

slow06

Established Member
Anyone have a pic or able to explain exactly where on the firewall this leak comes from? I havent experienced it personally, at least not yet (my car rarely gets driven in the rain), but i would like to check and potentially prevent it from ever happening in the first place....

The FW leak was coming through the rubber seal from the harness on the driver side. They traced it that one down. They told me "When the car was being built, the harness was not pulled hard enough to seal on both sides" Whoever was plugging my car when being built did not do a good job of it, or I got some real bad luck.

The passenger leak was due to a passenger body plug not seating right. I might be able to swing by ford later today and take some pictures of where the leaks are, while my interior is gutted out. If I can get the pics it will be later today or tomorrow though.

They checked my drains and cowl, nothing was clogged. I am glad my car is still under warranty though. If you think you might have a issue and it is under warranty, take it in just in case.

87hatchy

Established Member
On the older ones (05-10) down here because we do get some heavy rain, we see this a lot. Their is a rubber type plug on the passenger side firewall next to the battery that drains the water underneath the vehicle that gets clogged up. When this happens, we usually see the passenger side floor turn into a lake. Take a few minutes to pop it out and clean it. By cleaning it I mean pull out road crap, leaves, twigs, ect.... I have not seen it on newer ones.... yet

The FW leak was coming through the rubber seal from the harness on the driver side. They traced it that one down. They told me "When the car was being built, the harness was not pulled hard enough to seal on both sides" Whoever was plugging my car when being built did not do a good job of it, or I got some real bad luck.

The passenger leak was due to a passenger body plug not seating right. I might be able to swing by ford later today and take some pictures of where the leaks are, while my interior is gutted out. If I can get the pics it will be later today or tomorrow though.

They checked my drains and cowl, nothing was clogged. I am glad my car is still under warranty though. If you think you might have a issue and it is under warranty, take it in just in case.

Thanks for the info guys :beer: slow06 - pics would be great if you can!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Anyone else having problems with the 5.0 leaking water into the car? Driver front and back floor seems to be getting damp.

My car has been at the dealership twice in 2 months for this problem. In October my car was at the dealership for this problem. First time, a seal in the Firewall was not sealed correctly. Carpet was pulled and dried, FW was resealed.

Over the next 2 months the car had a musty smell, kinda like a wet fart. I checked the carpet last Thursday and it was damp. Took it to the dealership and they are ordering new carpet, but now they also found 2 body plugs that were leaking. They said if it leaks again they will have to have a Ford engineer come down and figure out what is going on. Just wanted to see if I was the only one with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Car is a 2012 5.0 with 19k miles on it. Bone stock.

There is a tsb for this. Take the car to your ford dealer

slow06

Established Member
Just got off work, the carpet did not come in today. I will try to head up to the dealership in the morning and get some pics b4 the car is put back together.

Users who are viewing this thread